The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Shootout 2024 scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been taking some time to get the engine dialed in and finally think I am almost ready to finalize it. Checked valve clearance and cam degrees to set the lobe seperation exactly where I wanted it. Took some time and found out I had a bum set of AEM cam gears, but it’s all finished and waiting on the clutch/flywheel soon! Enjoy.

1699233600969.jpeg

1699233657158.jpeg

1699233677619.jpeg

1699233692855.jpeg

More to come soon..

Been taking some time to get the engine dialed in and finally think I am almost ready to finalize it. Checked valve clearance and cam degrees to set the lobe seperation exactly where I wanted it. Took some time and found out I had a bum set of AEM cam gears, but it’s all finished and waiting on the clutch/flywheel soon! Enjoy.

View attachment 712267

View attachment 712268

View attachment 712269

View attachment 712270

More to come soon..

I've always wanted to do this - and am curious what you mean by Bum set of AEM cam gears. I also have a set, not installed. What went wrong with them?

I've always wanted to do this - and am curious what you mean by Bum set of AEM cam gears. I also have a set, not installed. What went wrong with them?

So if you look at the first photo posted, the cam gear timing marks are off.. they do not line up correct even though the engine is timed correct. After fighting it for a while and hearing different things back and forth, ordered another set and they were perfect. I have no idea how they are like that or why but going to just keep them on a shelf for emergency situations. You will know when you open yours up by looking at the timing marks.. here are the correct ones.

1699235151120.jpeg

So if you look at the first photo posted, the cam gear timing marks are off.. they do not line up correct even though the engine is timed correct. After fighting it for a while and hearing different things back and forth, ordered another set and they were perfect. I have no idea how they are like that or why but going to just keep them on a shelf for emergency situations. You will know when you open yours up by looking at the timing marks.. here are the correct ones.

View attachment 712274
Both of those gears look identical to me. They aren't sitting the same in the pic. Close but not quite.

Both of those gears look identical to me. They aren't sitting the same in the pic. Close but not quite.
It is very easy to miss but they are indeed different.

1699253888079.jpeg

I just kept having trouble timing everything and then a member pointed out the gear issue and the new gears worked perfect.

They etch marked the timing mark on the left gear half a tooth off. While one could adjust the get to suit it should not be like this and could cause errors so AEM need to know so others dont have issues along the way.

View attachment 712274
Just noticed something. The part numbers. You originally had PN PART# 23-831BK and now you have PART# 23-830BK. I believe PART# 23-831BK is for Evos from what im seeing as they dont have the CAS backing adaptors where as the DSM ones do. I wonder if thats why and it was not an etch error. I only just seen the numbers under the center bolt so i checked them out. I dont get why they dont specify Evo

View attachment 712295

I just kept having trouble timing everything and then a member pointed out the gear issue and the new gears worked perfect.
Dangit. I was posting about the new ones not realizing the ones mentioned are in this pic. I am also curious about the dsm vs evo. Even still the gear on the exhaust side clearly has a mark that is neither in a tooth or valley. Dsm or evo that's wrong.

Dangit. I was posting about the new ones not realizing the ones mentioned are in this pic. I am also curious about the dsm vs evo. Even still the gear on the exhaust side clearly has a mark that is neither in a tooth or valley. Dsm or evo that's wrong.
Yeah, EVO or DSM cam pins or 95/96 sensor trigger plate mounts are not an issue, but an alignment mark not in the center of a valley, or the center of a tooth is wrong.

Yeah, EVO or DSM cam pins or 95/96 sensor trigger plate mounts are not an issue, but an alignment mark not in the center of a valley, or the center of a tooth is wrong.
I feel like something like this just happened very recently and @DSMPT had a significant write up/response. Lemme see if I can dig and find it.

View attachment 712295

This is off. Both side has 1 tooth retarded. You have to slide the center hub clockwise by 1 tooth or move the gears clockwise physically by 1 tooth.

@Dusty Landrum
This happens because you have a wrong gear set. That set is for EVO 4-9. They can be used in the early 4g63 by making DSM timing marks (The early 4g63 horizontal timing marks) or by advancing 1 tooth if you want to use the EVO 4-9 timing mark. But you put the DSM horizontal marks on a wrong tooth by following the EVO timing mark (You mixed up DSM/EVO 1-3 and EVO 4-9 timing mark). The EVO 4-9 timing mark is 1 tooth off from 12 o'clock. That's why always 1 tooth off.

Options :
1: if you want to have the gear looks sitting exactly in the center when it's set at TDC, you keep using the wrong horizontal timing marks with the EVO 4-9 timing mark by advancing the gear center hub by 1 tooth. This makes the cam gears looked like sitting in more center but you will have 1 tooth less margin to adjust the cams.
2 : Make the correct timing marks for the early 4g63 like the post #22 in the link above that @92Turbski put. In this way, the gears would "look" sitting one tooth off when the timing is set correctly. But you know the engine will never stop at TDC when turn off. So it wouldn't be noticeable once the engine is fired up.
Yes, this is the same case.

This is off. Both side has 1 tooth retarded. You have to slide the center hub clockwise by 1 tooth or move the gears clockwise physically by 1 tooth.

@Dusty Landrum
This happens because you have a wrong gear set. That set is for EVO 4-9. They can be used in the early 4g63 by making DSM timing marks (The early 4g63 horizontal timing marks) or by advancing 1 tooth if you want to use the EVO 4-9 timing mark. But you put the DSM horizontal marks on a wrong tooth by following the EVO timing mark (You mixed up DSM/EVO 1-3 and EVO 4-9 timing mark). The EVO 4-9 timing mark is 1 tooth off from 12 o'clock. That's why always 1 tooth off.

Options :
1: if you want to have the gear looks sitting exactly in the center when it's set at TDC, you keep using the wrong horizontal timing marks with the EVO 4-9 timing mark by advancing the gear center hub by 1 tooth. This makes the cam gears looked like sitting in more center but you will have 1 tooth less margin to adjust the cams.
2 : Make the correct timing marks for the early 4g63 like the post #22 in the link above that @92Turbski put. In this way, the gears would "look" sitting one tooth off when the timing is set correctly. But you know the engine will never stop at TDC when turn off. So it wouldn't be noticeable once the engine is fired up.

Yes, this is the same case.

Sorry everyone I missed the back and forth on the AEM cam gear markings!! To sum it up, the first set was not correct whether it’s for an Evo or a DSM. Got a new set and everything is perfect. When timed everything is as it should be. The etched marks are horizontal with the head, lined up together AND the engine is at TDC. So all good there.

Now that the engine is wrapped up as far as timing and degrees I am waiting on a clutch and then I can hopefully hang the engine/trans in the bay in two weeks. BUT, also working on the steering and almost finished with the hardest part of it, and hopefully welding the shafts tonight after work.. here is the progress so far.

1699667959507.jpeg

1699667995379.jpeg

1699668015689.jpeg

1699668031845.jpeg

This is for the Prius electric steering assist in a 2G DSM btw. Just in case someone finds this thread on a google search LOL. Final column coming soon.j

Finally got around to getting the hood pins finalized. Tried to use the quik-latch but ultimately it would not work. Switched to the aero-catch and although the footprint of the latch is larger, it’s waaaaay more secure and that’s really the goal.

1700511228501.jpeg

1700511242833.jpeg

Here is the final set..

1700511271003.jpeg

1700511289333.jpeg

1700511311762.jpeg

More to come soon.. driveline parts are showing up.

Why did you mount the drivers side a few degrees off from the passenger side? Is there a reason you didn't want them mirrored or do you like the crooked one-off look? :sneaky:

Now that the engine is wrapped up as far as timing and degrees I am waiting on a clutch and then I can hopefully hang the engine/trans in the bay in two weeks. BUT, also working on the steering and almost finished with the hardest part of it, and hopefully welding the shafts tonight after work.. here is the progress so far.

View attachment 712704

View attachment 712705

View attachment 712706

View attachment 712707

This is for the Prius electric steering assist in a 2G DSM btw. Just in case someone finds this thread on a google search LOL. Final column coming soon.j
Very interested in this conversion, do you think it can work on a 1g?

Why did you mount the drivers side a few degrees off from the passenger side? Is there a reason you didn't want them mirrored or do you like the crooked one-off look? :sneaky:
Would like to hear OP comments on that - but I'm thinking the diagonal weave pattern of the CF is causing an optical illusion.

😂😂😂 I think @bettfootball is pulling ole Dusty's leg.
Oh absolutely.. he knowns how anal I am about everything and how I spent 30mins with rulers and levels to make sure it was spot on LOL… so yeah. He also knows just mentioning it freaked me out and made me go look at it again. So he wins this one.. hahaha.

Very interested in this conversion, do you think it can work on a 1g?
I honestly have no idea at all. The thing with the conversion is that you have to hybridize the Tesla motor/shaft with the mitsu upper. So as long as you can get the lower motor modded so the lower mount bracket can go onto it, the upper should be very similar to how the 2G upper gets modded. Sorry I can’t give a more definitive answer!

I am as well, can't wait to see the finished install.
Here is the final upper section completed. I still have to mod the steering output to the rack side and honestly kind of avoiding it LOL. I don’t like messing with the caps for the joints.

Steering shafts welded and then coat of primer put over it. I took some sheet metal I had here to weld vertical to just help reinforce the shaft. A broken weld would be catastrophic.

1700701972598.jpeg

1700701990216.jpeg

And final install with everything torqued up.

1700702030661.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back