The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Texas Mitsubishi Shootout

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9!'clipseDOHC

Aug 24, 2003
El Paso, Texas
After finishing my engine swap, my goal was to have my car ready to race by the Texas Mitsubishi Shootout at the San Antonio Raceway. This gave me about 45 days from the time I first started the new engine. I had to break my block in (1,000 miles) and iron out all the wrinkles (so to speak) so that I could make some reliable passes at the shootout.

The break in went well, I got all my miles in with 2 weeks to spare. However I had been have a problem with boost leaks and a weird noise like a siren which I suspected to be my turbo (I was correct). Boost leak tests reviled that I was leaking from my lower injector seals, fuel pressure vacuum line, and what seamed to be the 14b itself. I replaced all of my fuel injector seal with FIC's complete injector seal kit and tightened up my vac lines.

My turbo wasn't quite so easy. It was leaking boost, making strange noises, and had some in and out shaft play. With just 14 days until the shootout I ordered another 14b from the classifieds. I received it and installed it with just 6 days to spare. This didn't leave me any time to practice my launch with a front wheel drive turbo car, it would have to wait for the track.

View attachment 2147
Saturday arrived and I loaded my car on a trailer (My first time on the track with a new engine, I figured a trailer was good insurance) and drove 9 hours to San Antonio.

View attachment 2148
View attachment 2149
Sunday morning, track day! My first pass I launched at 4,000 RPM's and spun like a hamster on a wheel. My first run was a 17.6 at 95 MPH. However after 10 passes I had gotten down to a best ET of 14.3 @ 101 MPH. I was running 14 psi on a 14b with stock injectors, stock SMIC, full interior, and street tires. Here are all of my passes in chronological order:

60' ET MPH
2.8 17.6 95.5 (Launch at 4k, spun all through 1st)
2.7 14.7 101.9 (no launch, best MPH)
2.8 15.0 100.6 (launch at 3k)
2.5 14.6 100.6 (started launching at 3.5k)
2.3 14.4 99.5 (best 60')
2.5 14.7 98.8
2.6 14.9 89.2 (on the brakes, I had 0 boost on gauge, blew my gauge line off)
2.6 14.7 101.5
2.4 14.3 101.1 (best ET)
2.5 14.6 99.7
11ghzli.jpg

View attachment 2150
Spinning tires off the line on my first pass

My goal was to get into the 13's. I know my car can do it, hopefully next time. I'll shed some weight and work on my 60' and I'm sure I can knock off that .33 of a second and get into the 13's. Even though I didn't get it in San Antonio, I was still happy with my car. It performed great considering this was it's first day on the track with this engine.

View attachment 2151
Stay tuned!!!

[video=P6200887.AVI]73[/video]
14.4 @ 99.5 MPH run.

DSM_PWR;bt8778 said:
Nice!!

Car definitely has a 13 in it, saw your runs and wouldn’t have guessed it was a stock 14b turbo.

Thanks for making the trip! Goodluck with the 13's!

Thanks a lot! BTW, your engine is BEAUTIFUL!!!

thats bad ass. most people dont say their time after the video.. LOL. 14.426

Guzman08;bt8801 said:
thats bad ass. most people dont say their time after the video.. LOL. 14.426
Thanks! Yeah, my fiancee was recording with my camera but it wouldn't zoom in anymore and she wanted to make sure I knew my time. Yeah, she's awesome like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back