The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Altered Mental Status(1G AWD 5spd)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know somewhere back in the thread you said pedal assembly is rebuilt. Do you know how it was done? I've seen this done incorrectly.

Operation Slow-as-molasses is proceeding on schedule.

Which means I removed the exhaust today. Transmission will be removed by a thousand paper cuts.

From here only things left are axles removed, t-case dropped, then trans unbolted and dropped.

Operation Slow-as-molasses is proceeding on schedule.

Which means I removed the exhaust today. Transmission will be removed by a thousand paper cuts.
Oh man don't do it by a thousand paper cuts. They are too painful.
Do it by a few dozen cord-untangles. Much more nice.

I feel like I’ve officially joined the old man club. I actually just bought a pair of safety glasses because I’m sick to death of getting rust and dirt and god knows what else in my eye everytime I’m under this damn thing. Lol.

But yeah. Feels surreal. No more safety squints.

I feel like I’ve officially joined the old man club. I actually just bought a pair of safety glasses because I’m sick to death of getting rust and dirt and god knows what else in my eye everytime I’m under this damn thing. Lol.

But yeah. Feels surreal. No more safety squints.
ughhh...shame...Ive lost 0.1oz of respect for you now ....Next thing you know, you'll be wearing a respirator when you paint something.... :p

And headphones while mowing......ROFL

I think you'll need to do something different to get in the old man club.
Gen Z thinks safety glasses are very stylish!

Mayu and Kotone styling with safety glasses ---.jpg

Well, awhile back(like, months) I bought the missing north/south bar aka crossmember aka WTFeverelseitscalled that runs underneath the transmission(passenger side north/south bar). I did this because while removing the transmission and heli-coiling the trans under the car awhile back, I took the driver's side bar off, and I could visibly see the core support flex and sag without it. It astounded me and right then I found one.

I found one for super cheap that was rusty and greasy AF. Here it is in all it's OG glory.

IMG_5868.jpeg

IMG_5867.jpeg

Oof. It was worse than it looks, but wasn't actually rotten away in any spots, just some serious surface rust. So I brought it to work with me and wire-wheeled it down as good and as far as a 1/4" drill could feasibly do, and shot it with some primer. You can still see a couple spots. It's clean, but not perfectly smooth. Nor will it probably ever be.

IMG_5862.jpeg

So much better already. But now let's give it a nice coat of rustoleum black.

IMG_5866.jpeg

Boom. This is how the final product looks and is gonna look (I used the same paint on the center trim/1GA grill I took pics of earlier in the build thread) and I'm SUPER happy with it. It somewhat matches the other one in how it's not perfectly smooth, and it's lightyears better than before.

Not perfect but a ton better. One day I’ll get a grinder and make it(and other rusty stuff I have) perfectly smooth, but until then I'm happy with this. Especially considering it's gonna immediately be coated with oil and dents/dings/whatever else, and at best no one will ever see it but me.

Got the axles out. The key this time was having my wife hold the axle straight/parallel and turn it slowly while I did the “wrist flick” thing with a prybar and it came out with such little effort I actually asked aloud “did that just actually work?” To which my wife promptly answered “yes”. ROFL

But yeah. Very pleased. From here only the tcase needs to be dropped then the trans itself can be removed. Getting close now!

Also because updates are useless without pictures, here’s a picture of my clutch fork as it sits currently.

IMG_5870.jpeg

Til next time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back