The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Richmond VA area GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_SlamSammich

Probationary Member
Apr 7, 2024
Frederick, Colorado
Hey all! First post on the forum. I'm looking at buying a 97 GST from a guy in the Richmond VA area. I have a photo of the engine bay as the rest of the car seems to be ok with the occasional fit and finish issues. I want to post a photo of the engine and see if anyone can see some glaring problems that would need fixing. Thanks in advance and excited to be a part of the DSM community finally!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Upper timing belt cover. Unsure if the headers are china, if they are they often crack and warp.
Any rust on the strut towers?
What's the mod list?

Upper timing belt cover. Unsure if the headers are china, if they are they often crack and warp.
Any rust on the strut towers?
What's the mod list?
Alright big tracking. Would it be good peace of mind to replace with either stock or extreme psi exhaust manifold? No rust on strut towers. Owner isn't sure of mods. The only thing he's made me aware of is the turbo needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

Probably a china turbo then. Yes, even a good-used manifold would be better than a chinabay header (if that's what it is).
No matter what, it's going to be a project car. Looks like it's been sitting for a while. What's your mechanic ability? Because you're going to have to go through it with a fine tooth comb to understand what has and has not been done to it. A new timing belt is going to be a necessity if you don't know when it was changed last.

Probably a china turbo then. Yes, even a good-used manifold would be better than a chinabay header (if that's what it is).
No matter what, it's going to be a project car. Looks like it's been sitting for a while. What's your mechanic ability? Because you're going to have to go through it with a fine tooth comb to understand what has and has not been done to it. A new timing belt is going to be a necessity if you don't know when it was changed last.
Definitely buying it as a project. I have some experience mechanically. Enough to get by. But I'll have some help in the Norfolk area. Planned on doing all fluids and probably the belts and gaskets as well. Basically just want to get it back to running normally and reliably. If I'm replacing the turbo would the 16g be more worth it long run? Only difference in price is 700 for a big 16g or about 300-400 for a t25. Not in a huge rush for more power initially.

No glaring issues per se, but definitely need to change the timing belt and get a cover. Not sure what's going on with those plug wires. I know 1g plug wires are longer, but those look like they're all at least 6in too long. Looks like emissions have been deleted. Battery in the trunk? Have you heard it run yet? Looks like its been sitting awhile, and although I wouldn't go so far to say it looks like a hack job, it looks like it has the potential to be a much bigger project than anticipated. However its hard to say based on one pic, and no other details about the car's history.

No glaring issues per se, but definitely need to change the timing belt and get a cover. Not sure what's going on with those plug wires. I know 1g plug wires are longer, but those look like they're all at least 6in too long. Looks like emissions have been deleted. Battery in the trunk? Have you heard it run yet? Looks like its been sitting awhile, and although I wouldn't go so far to say it looks like a hack job, it looks like it has the potential to be a much bigger project than anticipated. However its hard to say based on one pic, and no other details about the car's history.
Fair enough. It's essentially getting a in depth tune up from me so new plugs and wires for sure. They have a video of it running, but I will start it in person because who knows how long ago the video was. How can you tell the emissions have been deleted? Learning everything I can. I'm really glad that there isn't any rust that I can see in the likely spots for it.

Also is there anyway to tell if it's cheap Chinese stuff? And markings to look for?

it looks extremely undesirable to me under the hood

its missing all of the emissions sensors on the firewall.

its missing all of the timing covers

it has a cheap ebay manifold that is for sure cracked

it has a cheap ebay turbo

it probably has a major oil leak from the oil pan

it could have a blown engine that the seller is saying is a "blown turbo".

im not saying its a terrible engine bay, but as a buyer I see a lot of issues that would make me say that even if the body and interior were perfect, the car is probably barely worth at best $5k

edit: I just saw the huge japanese stickers on the winshield, that is a $2,500 car at best. why would you put a japanese sticker on an american car

it looks extremely undesirable to me under the hood

its missing all of the emissions sensors on the firewall.

its missing all of the timing covers

it has a cheap ebay manifold that is for sure cracked

it has a cheap ebay turbo

it probably has a major oil leak from the oil pan

it could have a blown engine that the seller is saying is a "blown turbo".

im not saying its a terrible engine bay, but as a buyer I see a lot of issues that would make me say that even if the body and interior were perfect, the car is probably barely worth at best $5k

edit: I just saw the huge japanese stickers on the winshield, that is a $2,500 car at best. why would you put a japanese sticker on an american car
Yea stickers would come off immediately if bought. I talked him down to 2k for the car. Listed for 2800. I believe the lower and middle timing covers are there if you look real closely. But the upper is obviously in need of replacing. Already planned on all gaskets and belts be replaced. Will be bringing a compression tester as well

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back