The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

sand on valve train area

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian O Conner

10+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2011
Sheridan, Indiana
I was out sand blasting in my garage and my engine was in my house. I walked through the doorway no sand was coming off of me. Somehow sand made its way into the valve train area of my engine. Not very much of it you couldnt even notice it from a couple of feet away you have to be within a foot to notice. I would say less then a pinch of sand but I was wondering if I put the engine upside down and sprayed computer cleaner(whole can) and a can of break cleaner would do the trick. Also was wondering if I changed the oil and oil filter a ton of times during the break in would fix this. Everything in my engine is forged for the most part.

Yes, pull it apart and clean it all, there will be twice as much you do not see as what you can see.

Air born grit will fall down the oil return ports and settle on the rods and oil pan, it has gotten behind the valve springs.

I hope the HLAs and followers were in. if they were not, then the grit is in the oil galleys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back