The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Car stops accelerating

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illusioneclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2003
MinnesotaUS
Ok, i have had this problem for a while now and i cant figure out what it is. I recently install a Evo3 16G turbo on my car. With my t25 i set the boost to 15 lbs and when i floor it to 7k rpm, the car will still pull and accelerate. With my 16g turbo, i have it set to 20 lbs and floor it; in 1 and second gear it would pull fine, but in 3, 4, and 5 gear it will pull and at 4 or 5k rpm, it would stop accelerating and the car feels like it just stoped and died. I have all the fuel upgraded. Can anyone help?
If it helps, my boost creeps to like 22 lbs. Thats when the problem starts. Please dont tell me to turn down my boost b/c i did and the problem is still there. Only when i floor it for a long time is when the problem happens.

what up!! :dsm:

Does the engine speed (RPM) increases but the engine speed stays pretty much the same on those higher gears? :confused:

If you are on the 4th gear at 45mph and you hit the gas to increase speed does it feel weaker than the stock turbo? :confused:

Have you raced the car after the new install? did you push it hard? :confused:

Do you smell anything burnt when you stop or open the hood (during or after driving it)? :confused:

if you answer yes to most of this general questions you might have a clutch problem(drivetrain)

I had the same problems you have. I wrote it in the forum and someone told me to check the clucth, i did and it was toasted so it was slipping..

illusioneclipse said:
Ok, i have had this problem for a while now and i cant figure out what it is. I recently install a Evo3 16G turbo on my car. With my t25 i set the boost to 15 lbs and when i floor it to 7k rpm, the car will still pull and accelerate. With my 16g turbo, i have it set to 20 lbs and floor it; in 1 and second gear it would pull fine, but in 3, 4, and 5 gear it will pull and at 4 or 5k rpm, it would stop accelerating and the car feels like it just stoped and died. I have all the fuel upgraded. Can anyone help?
If it helps, my boost creeps to like 22 lbs. Thats when the problem starts. Please dont tell me to turn down my boost b/c i did and the problem is still there. Only when i floor it for a long time is when the problem happens.

Spark plugs.

ChrisFlo said:
Spark plugs.
Could be a possibility. Or any other part of the seconday ignition.

If that doesn't fix it tho, I'd like to see what your logs look like when it happens.

taino787 said:
what up!! :dsm:

Does the engine speed (RPM) increases but the engine speed stays pretty much the same on those higher gears? :confused:

If you are on the 4th gear at 45mph and you hit the gas to increase speed does it feel weaker than the stock turbo? :confused:

Have you raced the car after the new install? did you push it hard? :confused:

Do you smell anything burnt when you stop or open the hood (during or after driving it)? :confused:

if you answer yes to most of this general questions you might have a clutch problem(drivetrain)

I had the same problems you have. I wrote it in the forum and someone told me to check the clucth, i did and it was toasted so it was slipping..

No, the engine speed does NOT increase while the car speed stay the same. They both drop on higher gears.
When i am on 4th gear at 45mph and hit gas, it pulls hard but only untill high rpm. The pull is stronger than stock turbo.
Yes, i have raced the car after the turbo install and it pulls hard, but only to a certain rpm range or if i hold down the throttle for long it will studder and drop/ stop accelerating.
There is absolutly no smell after the drive or when i open hood.

ChrisFlo said:
Spark plugs.

I am sure its not the spark plugs b/c the month before i storage my car for winter, i had change it to NGK plugs. I just took my car out of storage. So pretty much the plugs are brand new; only used for like a month.

illusioneclipse said:
I am sure its not the spark plugs b/c the month before i storage my car for winter, i had change it to NGK plugs. I just took my car out of storage. So pretty much the plugs are brand new; only used for like a month.

How bout the wires?

The reason I'm guessing plugs/wires is because the EXACT same thing was happening to my car, and after I replaced both it fixed the prob.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back