The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink After upgrading injectors, do you also have to upgrade the fuel pump right away?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bo0st2

Proven Member
Dec 25, 2023
Arizona
Went from 450CC to 1220CC low z FIC injectors. Car started well & idled good after install, but now it's struggling to start.

Coming to realize it's running like a $26 crappy no-name Amazon knock off fuel pump..

My question is, do I need something like a Walbro 255 just to run these injectors?

Some online say you need to upgrade the fuel pump right away when doing the injectors to make sure the pump can flow enough for the larger injectors even though I'm controlling it with ECMLink v3?

Still on the stock turbo for now but plans to upgrade down the line to one that's bigger.

Attached a log from when it was running:

Attachments

• new 1220cc injectors.elg
    198.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Needed fuel is not dependent on the size of injector. It is dependent on how much air you are running. Whatever injector you choose it doesn't matter UNTIL you ask for more fuel. If you're at stock boost or close to it you're still delivering the same amount of fuel you're just doing it with a larger injector. Only thing that would change is injector pulsewidth. You start flowing more air and subsequently more pulsewidth then yes you will need more fuel pump.

If you are planning on increasing the airflow, then yes you need a good pump. A small stock pump in good condition would be enough to run the car with stock like airflow. I suspect that you are going to turn it up, otherwise the 1220's would be silly. And it sounds like you have a garbage pump in there. If I were you I'd go for a genuine walbro 350 intank. It adds quite a bit of flow for cheap and no hassle. Should be enough to get close to maxing out those 1220's unless you need a ton of boost to do it. It also won't have the massive return flow and fuel heating of a 450 or 525 that everyone else will reccomend.

I would change the pump as i suspect you will turn the car up. The larger 450 and 525 pumps have there place. We like them but yes they have there drawbacks, as i recall the 255 walbro's we have used in the past max'd out around 425-440whp on e85 on the dyno. So something a little larger would be in place for your injectors.

A Walbro255 is a known commodity and a direct drop-in replacement for reasonable price. Keep in mind, regardless what pump you run, even a stocker, a fuel pump rewire is highly recommended.
FWIW, I rewired my fuel pump decades ago, then recently installed an AFPR, then a WB255. After the 255, I definitely noticed improvement in the upper RPM range (~15psi boost, 91 octane) on stock 450cc injectors. Which tells me my stock pump was not fully adequate even for 450cc injectors. I'll be tossing on some 1000cc injectors now that the rest of the fuel system has been upgraded.

Wellllllll if your talking about the red manual car in your profile.
Years ago Steve did the math,at manual fuel pressure 36psi the 450 cc injectors flow about 411 ccs.

Here’s a nifty calculator where you can play with fuel pressure and injector sizes: Deatschwerks Fuel Injector Calculators

Now a stock upgrade is to just switch the auto fpr @43.5 psi.
You should set it to 43.5 psi and retuned. If you have not allready. The fuel pump wiring is a must even for stock ish cars

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are planning on increasing the airflow, then yes you need a good pump. A small stock pump in good condition would be enough to run the car with stock like airflow. I suspect that you are going to turn it up, otherwise the 1220's would be silly. And it sounds like you have a garbage pump in there. If I were you I'd go for a genuine walbro 350 intank. It adds quite a bit of flow for cheap and no hassle. Should be enough to get close to maxing out those 1220's unless you need a ton of boost to do it. It also won't have the massive return flow and fuel heating of a 450 or 525 that everyone else will reccomend.
Can confirm. Walbro 350 works good but boooooy is it loud. People will either think "dayum, you've got a big pump" or "you need to fix that whining pump before it dies on you" LOL

Since you're a GST, I'm hoping the 2G hanger is longer because on the AWD with it being so short.. well, here's a 350 test fitted on the stock AWD hanger, rubber insulator, and with a bulkhead fitting:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The only way I could install was by removing the bottom support and clamping it with some rubber hose jammed in behind. Any longer and it wouldn't fit, I'm already nearly scraping the bottom of the tank with that sock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone!
A Walbro255 is a known commodity and a direct drop-in replacement for reasonable price. Keep in mind, regardless what pump you run, even a stocker, a fuel pump rewire is highly recommended.
FWIW, I rewired my fuel pump decades ago, then recently installed an AFPR, then a WB255. After the 255, I definitely noticed improvement in the upper RPM range (~15psi boost, 91 octane) on stock 450cc injectors. Which tells me my stock pump was not fully adequate even for 450cc injectors. I'll be tossing on some 1000cc injectors now that the rest of the fuel system has been upgraded.
What would happen if I just drop it in for the moment & don't re-wire it?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

What would happen if I just drop it in for the moment & don't re-wire it?
Less stability depending on available voltage. It will run, but results will vary. You will find it harder to set your Global Fuel calibration as voltage may fluctuate under load with fans, lights, stereo sub woofers, and whatever other power hungry electronics you have.

Less stability depending on available voltage. It will run, but results will vary. You will find it harder to set your Global Fuel calibration as voltage may fluctuate under load with fans, lights, stereo sub woofers, and whatever other power hungry electronics you have.
Its a domino effect - with a larger pump, you will need a Fuel Pressure Regulator that can handle the flow, and lower the pressure back to spec.
Thanks! Which Fuel Pressure Regular is everyone recommending nowadays?

Samesies.
Disclaimer: had to replace the diaphragm once due to a rip it developed on its own. but shit can and does happen to any of the regulators out there

I run a fuel lab regulator and love it.

When I had a 255 with no re wire done I noticed the most at a stop with the turn signal on. I could 100% hear the pump voltage drop every time the blinker hit. Never had a issue though.

-Daniel

I wouldn't overthink brand. Some of the oldest ones are aeromotive and sx which I think edelbrock owns now. They're pretty simple devices.
So if they're simple devices, would you trust this
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Aikosin-Black-Red-Adjustable-Universal-Connectors/dp/B0BHW9HZ93/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=3R4EM0QRT2D1H&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.O0czJ2Qp73e49auxMhuWMfNga5VSErq6cHEu0P2ImR-iKec37k5rSwv7F78XIsg3xaCqVUQHv6HR-2H99z6dUumLYLU4jJsGEm1wA616pQZfnLBrywQa1NoQTNkVS6kh58zb14kw4nNsMUpC0sOYU75rNocM5uESs5EwQ2heN-hQSSJDLwGXcTDiiLXxqyvGvqiDqXOvKs3aiGBECv5eiX4Qb-pCgEdl5D0-d0jk6kM.JAX1Vf1cfXjNYhNc1ONEtGuaSklmr5WJes8db0gXuBc&dib_tag=se&keywords=fuel%2Bpressure%2Bregulator&qid=1711586998&sprefix=fuel%2Bp%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-7-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Aikosin-Black-Red-Adjustable-Universal-Connectors/dp/B0BHW9HZ93/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=3R4EM0QRT2D1H&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.O0czJ2Qp73e49auxMhuWMfNga5VSErq6cHEu0P2ImR-iKec37k5rSwv7F78XIsg3xaCqVUQHv6HR-2H99z6dUumLYLU4jJsGEm1wA616pQZfnLBrywQa1NoQTNkVS6kh58zb14kw4nNsMUpC0sOYU75rNocM5uESs5EwQ2heN-hQSSJDLwGXcTDiiLXxqyvGvqiDqXOvKs3aiGBECv5eiX4Qb-pCgEdl5D0-d0jk6kM.JAX1Vf1cfXjNYhNc1ONEtGuaSklmr5WJes8db0gXuBc&dib_tag=se&keywords=fuel%2Bpressure%2Bregulator&qid=1711586998&sprefix=fuel%2Bp%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-7-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

I wouldn't trust evil energy with anything fuel related. I bought some of their AN fittings for my catch can lines to save some cash and I had 2 break in less than a year.

Code:

No.
Basic rule of thumb.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Buy name brand stuff from reputable dealers.

Where do I get good quality fittings and such then?
Summit sells several quality brands such as Vibrant, Fragola, Russell and their own Summit branded stuff is decent for budget stuff. When it comes to fuel, you don't pick cheap as it can burn your car to the ground.

I also have been using Performance World fittings for years, the local speed shop carries them. They feel like they are good quality and the anodizing actually wears off slower than Russell. They may be Canadian.. but I don't know who actually makes the parts.

Russell is pretty consistent quality

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back