The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G and 2G AWD Intermediate Shaft Repair Parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
I needed to replace the bearings in an intermediate shaft recently and it wasn't really a hard job but I did dent the outside of the large seal. I inquired about a replacement seal from the company that I got the rebuild kit from, a Febest AS-306216-Kit, and was told they were not available separately and I would need to order a complete kit to get it. Being old and stubborn, I was determined to find said seal and not pay $20 for one.

The following are the parts and their costs. The Febest kit was nice and it was complete and makes the shaft have no slop again but runs $35.

I ordered seals (and bearings) in quantity of 3's since I have 3 other shafts. I was able to still use the large seal that I dented, I just used a coating of RTV around it for good measure. I have not installed these yet but will be very soon and will have install pictures at that time.

Right now, I have the part numbers and links for each. All of the replacements seem identical by looks and feel. I will update with results ASAP.
The Febest AS-306216-KIT is on the left and the make your our kit parts (for about half price) are on the right.

Large Seal - National 51098
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/national,51098,wheel+seal,1860
Small Seal - SKF 16546
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/skf,16546,axle+shaft+seal,1852
Bearing - 30X62X16 Sealed, F&D Bearing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142404732153

Marty
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
This is definitely a helpful post, I went through the same ordeal but didn't want to deal with finding the correct seals and shipping individual tiny parts to Canada at $20/ea, so I ordered a MB526956 shaft rebuild kit from Mitsubishi instead (surprisingly still in stock at $60ish US). Then I found I had another kit in my pile from god-knows-where, so I'm set forever. But the ability to rebuild one for like $25 is super handy.

I am not sure Curt. I was under the impression that all of our shafts take the same rebuild kit, per the application guide that was on the ad page HERE, so you 2g guys should have the same thing. One of my extra shafts is for a 2ga for sure and it looks the same as my 1g shafts, including the mounting bracket. The ad states it works up to 1999 (and some Galants also), but I can't personally verify that. :thumb:

That's awesome. Just goes to shown that rockauto's applicability guide for parts cannot be trusted 100%. At least, in their ommittance

At least it's well done on Mitsu's part for not redesigning the bracket and shaft.

If I hadn't known the part numbers to look for (that investigation took most of the time), I don't know if I would have come across the seals very easy. I do still want to test them on another wiggly shaft. I know for certain that the bearings (sealed) work because I intentionally used one on the shaft I repaired. I have to pull another apart to make sure the seals fit like they should, but to be fair, the sealed bearing itself would/should be just fine. If the bearing was an open design (which maybe Mitsu's original design was that way) then the seals would definitely be needed. I looked at my old bearing and my old small seal last night and if it weren't for the hardness of the rubber on the seal, it could be reused (but it is headed for the trash, I just happen to see it on our work bench).

I prefer to pull both pieces as a unit and separate them on the ground or a work bench.

Last time I used a hard dead blow hammer and it separated instantly after a good smack. There should be a clip in there like the passenger side has.

-Daniel

How's the old bearing come out/new one go in? Press, I'm assuming?

I may do this just for giggles.
Yep, press. No issue at all and it was easy enuf that, like the other guys said, I think it could be done without it (a press).

This is definitely a helpful post, I went through the same ordeal but didn't want to deal with finding the correct seals and shipping individual tiny parts to Canada at $20/ea, so I ordered a MB526956 shaft rebuild kit from Mitsubishi instead (surprisingly still in stock at $60ish US). Then I found I had another kit in my pile from god-knows-where, so I'm set forever. But the ability to rebuild one for like $25 is super handy.
thanks for the heads up on the part number

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back