The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1998 Eclipse GSX with 6 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor11

Probationary Member
Aug 6, 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
Hi, Im looking into buying a 98 eclipse and it has a 6 bolt swap done and is currently not running. Ive looked around a lot at swap instructions and Ive seen nothing about ignition wiring. This owner says the only reason it doesnt run is because he was unaware the ignition needed to be rewired. Is this a common problem? Im thinking there are problems worse than he is letting on.
Here is most of the his description of the car. He talks about the ignition a few lines before the end. I just thought Id add the whole description to help get a better understanding of whats done to the car.

I have a great looking 1998 eclipse gsx with 36,000 original miles. Body- Rare charcoal grey color! Custom front bumper, projector headlights, tinted taillights, side markers and reverse lights, moon roof. Engine-Japan spec 6 bolt 4g63 Engine Swap! There was only 500 miles on the engine when I bought it bone stock. ported and polished head, bored block .20 over, Ross pistons, Eagle H Beam rods, Hybrid t3/t4 turbo, GReddy front mount intercooler and hard intercooler piping, OBXR high temp turbo header, TIAL 44mm external wastegate with custom downpipe, Blitz open blow off valve, Injen cold air intake, OBXR strut bar, Mishamoto aluminum radiator, Japan spec fanlight cooling fans, 550cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, custom 3inch straight pipe exhaust, external oil cooler, BC stage 2 cams, HKS cosmetic head gasket, Motion control polyurethane motor mounts and tranny mount, Japan intake manifold, torque damper, Balanced crankshaft, balance shaft removal kit, OBXR light weight crank Lilly. And all new belts sensors and hoses. Interior- Leather seats front and back, toggle switch for cooling fans, B and M short throw shifter, moon roof, power everything, windows, seats, etc, Apexi boost gauge, GReddy turbo timer, GReddy boost controller. Boost controller, turbo timer and boost gauge are not hooked up but are in the car. Wheels and tires- 18 inch black and chrome rims, brand new falken tires. Drivetrain- AWD, Brand new Fully built transmission, Exedy stage 2 clutch, ACT lightweight flywheel, stage 2 axles. Suspension and brakes- KYB struts, Eibach springs, Cross drilled and slotted rotors, high performance brake pads, wheel spacers all the way around. Now for the bad, I swapped the stock 7 bolt 4g63 because the wastegate on the 16g turbo was bad and caused it to over heat and spun a rod bearing. Plus the 7 bolt motors crank walk and the 6's don't. When I did the swap I wasn't informed that you had to rewire the ignition for that motor. Speed and sound in st. Louis gave me an estimate to get the car on the road for 300 bucks. That's to wire the ignition, hook up vacuum lines ect. All performance parts were done to the engine while it was out of the car. Has not been ran with the new parts at all. Estimated at 500hp with all the stuff I have done.

here are the instructions on wiring in the 1g sensor in a 2g.

magnusmotorsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/1gina2g.pdf

Be careful, if the person didn't know how to do this, i wouldn't trust them to modify the car. t3/t4 hybrid turbo screams cheap ebay crap to me. 550cc injectors will not get you 500hp as claimed. hks and cosmetic are two different companies. Get rid of the crank lilly, and go back to stock... Crank pulleys are harmonic balancers and should only be replaced with such. No mention of dsmlink or anything to control the motor. Keep in mind this is a non-running project with some suspect work, don't pay for a modified running car. If the deal is good go for it. Just be sure to go through everything when and if you get the car.

I would be very careful, if not just walk away from it. an engine swapped car thats not running, could be a jack stand pro if you don't have the money to pay for all the parts that aren't there to make it run. what ecu is in it, emissions delete, is the wiring all hacked? and if he did the swap and didn't know about the ignition, what else didn't he do right. i think i would pass if it was me. or it sounds like a good base for a project car that won't be running for awhile. just my $.02

I'll tell you what, if you show me nice 2g GSX with 36xxx miles on it I will SNATCH it up.

Give the seller $300 to fix the car. When it's running pay the balance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back