The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1998 eclipse gsx upgrade path question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse012

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2008
canada, AB_Canada
I have been reading the upgrade paths and i a have a few questions. My car is a standard and is completely stock except it has a k&n cone intake. As far as the upgrade path this is my list i have put together so far for the first stage. Anyone with any suggestions please say them.

1. Apexi Gt Spec Downpipe With Apexi n1 3'' catback exhaust (Does this setup work with one another?)
2. HKS SSQ BOV Vented (atmosphere)
3. Triple Pillar Gauge Pod With Apexi EL2 Boost Gauge, as well as egt & fuel pressure gauge
4. Boost Controller ( I havent Decided On Manual Or electronic, What you think)
5. B&M short throw shifter
6. Intercooler Upper Piping (Or is it more cost effective to just buy a fmic right off the bat since i notice the full kits come with the upper piping. I dont really want to buy the same thing twice)
7. O2 Sensor Housing (Not sure on what brand i should get)
8. Fuel Pump (What is a good fuel pump i can buy that will give me enough fuel pressure for my first stsge mods as well as the second stage.
9. turbo upgrade (wanting to get a big 16G. Let me know what you would go with) I also might just try to turn the stock turbo up as much as i can.

Please add to my list if you know i need something else. I have done all the maintenance and tune ups already.

HP goal is around the 300hp to 350 mark

Manual Boost Controller - Nice and reliable
Megan O2 sensor housing - Saves money and works good
Walbro 190 fuel pump - It is good for your 350hp goal
FP Big T28 - Works with stock intercooler or front mounts and flows almost exactly as much air as a big 16g

I'd add a shifter kit to make those shifts nice and solid
And +1 for the recirc. Maybe use a 1g bov too

1- Just go with an ebay and save some money.. I wish i would have went that was. The only reason i have an n1 on my car is because i got the brand new cat back for 100 bucks
2- Would not suggest venting unless you go straight to a MAF-t setup... Just not good. search that
3- I would go with boost, wideband, and something like oil pressure but i run an egt with a wideband
4- manual hallman or i have had great luck with making my own.
5- ebay short throw
6- Ebay front mount.. SSAC is what i and about 60 % of this site(idk) LOL
7-ebay o2 sensor housing or if you can just port the stock 2g. It is truely a great peice
8- I run a rewired 190 walbro at 20 psi and have had no problems..
9- I would make this one of your more serious mods and the most important. The compressor map for the 16g is sick for 20 psi..I love it and i prefer it to anyone who asks me about it.. SBR and FP have the for 500-600. I have had luck with my ebay one but that is not true for everyone. I run a SSAC 16g as well.

That should be a start. The apexi n1 necks down to 2" at the resonator so i would address those instantly

I have been reading the upgrade paths and i a have a few questions. My car is a standard and is completely stock except it has a k&n cone intake. As far as the upgrade path this is my list i have put together so far for the first stage. Anyone with any suggestions please say them.

1. Apexi Gt Spec Downpipe With Apexi n1 3'' catback exhaust (Does this setup work with one another?) Should work, but if your looking to go a cheaper route you could look into megan racing.
2. HKS SSQ BOV Vented (atmosphere) This will not work unless you have a gm maf, you can get it, but you will need to buy the recirc kit.
3. Triple Pillar Gauge Pod With Apexi EL2 Boost Gauge, as well as egt & fuel pressure gauge. Boost guage good, egt I would swap for either oil or coolant temperature, but its still a useful guage to have, fuel pressure ehh thats an Iffy I would rather have a wideband gauge in there
4. Boost Controller ( I havent Decided On Manual Or electronic, What you think). Depends on how much you want to pay and what features you want. I would get a manual that has the ability to be adjusted from inside the car or has a dual stage to it.
5. B&M short throw shifter. Good choice
6. Intercooler Upper Piping (Or is it more cost effective to just buy a fmic right off the bat since i notice the full kits come with the upper piping. I dont really want to buy the same thing twice). Just buy a fmiC right off the bat
7. O2 Sensor Housing (Not sure on what brand i should get). Are you looknig to run an external wastegate or keep it internal? If you are keeping it internal you could just port out the stock one.
8. Fuel Pump (What is a good fuel pump i can buy that will give me enough fuel pressure for my first stsge mods as well as the second stage. A rewired evo 8 pump should do you nicely.
9. turbo upgrade (wanting to get a big 16G. Let me know what you would go with) I also might just try to turn the stock turbo up as much as i can. For your goals either the big 16g or the evo 3 can get there with a little bit of meth and some decent tunning, a set of cams, and maybe an intake manifold.

Please add to my list if you know i need something else. I have done all the maintenance and tune ups already.

made my notes in the quote. Best of luck to you. :).

1. Apexi Gt Spec Downpipe With Apexi n1 3'' catback exhaust (Does this setup work with one another?)
It's all just stationary pipe so brand doesn't really matter. 3" is going to be overkill tho. I have 3" all the way back and I HATE it. 2.5" will do JUST fine and doesn't have to be routed under the chassis causing serious scrapeage.

2. HKS SSQ BOV Vented (atmosphere)
It's been said a few times already. You cannot vent without a Blow-thru MAFT setup.

3. Triple Pillar Gauge Pod With Apexi EL2 Boost Gauge, as well as egt & fuel pressure gauge
Why do you need a fuel pressure gauge? Oil pressure would be more informative at this point in your modding. You'll need a FP gauge once you get to the point of needing an AFPR.

4. Boost Controller ( I havent Decided On Manual Or electronic, What you think)
Manual. No contest. A EBC just leaves you with another electronic "thing" that can fail. I had the GReddy Profec B and it cause me nothing but headaches...still can't find all if it's crap in my bay.

5. B&M short throw shifter
I have one. They're nice. Not required but it sure does make driving more fun! :rocks:

6. Intercooler Upper Piping (Or is it more cost effective to just buy a fmic right off the bat since i notice the full kits come with the upper piping. I dont really want to buy the same thing twice)
SSAC sells an AWESOME and very complete, shorte route FMIC kit for about $260 shipped. I just put it on my car, swapping out the GReddy POS I had before.

7. O2 Sensor Housing (Not sure on what brand i should get)
Don't need it.

8. Fuel Pump (What is a good fuel pump i can buy that will give me enough fuel pressure for my first stsge mods as well as the second stage.
Some people say 190 will be fine. But I say, "why would I want just FINE?" Just get a 255 and your car will be set for whatever (within limits) you want to throw at her.

9. turbo upgrade (wanting to get a big 16G. Let me know what you would go with) I also might just try to turn the stock turbo up as much as i can.
Contact Jusmx141. He's the turbo dude. And a Big 16g will do just fine for you.

I added my input in bold. Also I didn't see a logger of any sort on there. $150 on a palm logger now can save you thousands later. Also, you can run a big 16g on your stock 450's but only on about stock boost levels. If you're wanting to up the boost at all (which I'm sure you are) you'll need to get yourself a nice set of injectors. 660's will do you just fine.

Good luck!

LOL the exhaust is fine with AWD.. Seriously my old 3in was one long ass pipe and then one short pipe and then the muffler.. No bending.. They welded the 3in on a straight angle. Not a good flow pattern but fitment is not an issue with the AWD...

LOL the exhaust is fine with AWD.. Seriously my old 3in was one long ass pipe and then one short pipe and then the muffler.. No bending.. They welded the 3in on a straight angle. Not a good flow pattern but fitment is not an issue with the AWD...

Ah! I missed that little tidbit. :thumb: You're correct...with FWD is sucks BALLS tho!

Thanks for all the feed back. I am goin to be start ordering parts soon here. So i will keep everyone posted on how the build is going. Once again thanks to everyones reply it helps me out alot with decisions. :thumb:

Alright I’m going to revisit my upgrade path since I have a few more questions and I want to do a full order on parts as soon as possible. Questions I have will be beside the mods.

My Upgrade path mods are:

- HKS SSQ BOV with recirc. Kit
- Hallman evolution RX manual boost controller kit
- Mitsubishi Big 16G Evo 8 Turbo (This turbo will suite my Needs of 300-350hp goal? And is it all everyone says it really is?)
- Lotek Tan Triple Pillar gauge pod
- Apexi Ell2 Gauges (Besides these gauges being expensive they only come in 60mm and it’s a bit big for the Pillar I think I think a 52mm would probably give me a bit more window view. Also how accurate are electronic gauges or should I be sticking to mechanical? The thing is that I like the fact that the electric have warning lights. Any other suggestions on a really good looking and performing gauges?)
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Kit (should I be getting a regular Walbro 255 pump or the 255HP?)
- Bigger Fuel Injectors (I am thinking I should maybe go with 650cc Ball Style from PE or would a 550 be good enough? Also what is a good brand for these?)
- GM MAF Translator Or Apexi AFC Neo? (I have read that not only can you use the MAF to Properly Vent your BOV but you can also use it to adjust fuel just like a AFC. Since the MAF is half the price of the AFC what would be my better bet?)
- Apexi GT Spec Down Pipe With Apexi N1 Exhaust (Will the down pipe bolt right up to the n1? Or is there going to be some custom fabricating involved?)
- Megan 02 Housing
- Greddy type 24V XL Intercooler kit (Extremepsi has a sale on this kit right now for 699.00 is this a good fmic to go with? Also is this a kit that is going to make me cut the front of my car a lot? Is there possibly a fmic with short pipes?)
- B&M Short Throw Shifter
- Act Clutch & light weight flywheel or Clutch masters (I have yet to decide on which to go with anyone using clutch masters? Or does everyone use ACT?)

Sorry for bringing this up again but I would like to get a order in so I can start my build. I know I could have used the search button for some of my questions here but since I had searched some and found no info on them I thought I would add to my thread. Anyone with some help once again thanks in advance.

it is an evoIII turbo you are gonna want not an evo8...
with that wally255 your gonna want an afpr...
you should definitely purchase your exhaust first. but you need to make sure the o2 housing ,dp, and exhaust of you choosing will all bolt up to each other.
i would use an safc to tune rather than the maf translator.
definitley do NOT buy the greddy intercooler kit. you should just go ahead and pick up a punishment racing budget fmic kit.

if you haven't already. now might be a good time to start looking into new bushings and what not. if your going to be throwing all this new found power at the car. make sure it can handle it first.:thumb:

i would do an evo3 16g over the big 16g. just my .02 faster spool ftw still almost same top end as the big 16g. also ditch the greddy 24v, unnecessary at the moment. id get a supra side mount and run evo injectors. that should do it for you while being cost effective. safc will work for you or you can go link for when you go bigger turbo :thumb:
as far as an fpr someone was saying you need one when going wally 255, no. i never put an fpr on until i went FP3065 "30r" this is just the first stage you said so i wouldnt worry about that right now.

id pick up some spark plug wires if you havnt done so already as well though. ngk works or magnacore and for spark plugs i would run ngk bpr6es or bpr7es but be prepared to change plugs everytime you change your oil

Yes the gt spec downpipe will bolt up no problem to n1 downpipe...

I will advise to get the megan downpipe and catback tho. I have the n1 downpipe and catback and will be upgradeing to the megan dp and catback... The gt spec downpipe has an entrance of 2.25 where as the megan downpipe has an entrance of 2.75 inches...The apexi catback has alot of resonators and angles whereas the megan catback is alot straighter. Plus, the megan sytem is alot cheaper and SS...

I'll try to stay in order.

1. As others said, go with cheap. Just make sure to get a good gauge stainless. I don't like the srs I got of Ebay because it necks down to 2.5" where the catback meets the downpipe, bu the quality was nice, good fit, shinny.

2. Again, as other said, don't. No performance increase unless your pushing serious boost, and you need maft or speed density to do this. It can be done with an SAC, but whats the point. You will however need a better BOB before you turn up the boost.

3. Again, concurring with others, you need a good boost gauge, and a wideband is an awesome tool to have. By far the two most important gauges you could by. As far as what I run, I went with the plx dm-100s with wideband and boost. They are very expensive, but come with analog outputs (to log with DSMlink).Check them out, they are really cool. www. plxdevices.com . There is also a gauge/ boost controller that is called True-Boost, It is the size of a gauge, and is basically a mechanical boost controller with a gauge all in one, but I don't know that much about it.

4. my opinion is mechanical. You are AWD, so the two stage is not really needed. It will also save you a bunch of money.

5. I love my B&M. Lifetime guarantee. enough said.

6. Heres one I'm going to disagree with most on. Buy quality the first time. I had the greddy 24v kit, and HATED it. Also I used some pipes of Ebay, one of the SSAC sets, the quality was horrible, bad welds, pipes are too thin, and the beads were too small. I crushed one of the pipes just trying to get the coupler to seal. What I would recommend is to spend the money and get the SBR/Kinetic kit. It has a big Garrett core, and the shortest pipes I've seen. Have it flanged for what BOV you chose, and be done with it. ETS also has nice kits, but your going to pay extra for stainless pipes from them. Ets also has smaller kits if huge isn't your thing.

7. Port the stock one. Buy the tools, do it yourself. It is not as hard as it sounds. If you really want one Punishments looks nice, and a lot of people say megan. I've never held either one in my hands so can't comment on the quality. Evo III is another option.

8. Again, agreeing, Walbro 255. Get and AFPR with it, your going to overrun the stock one and increase your fuel pressure. Without a way to tune your injectors down, you have no way to compensate for it.

9. Thats a though one. Read a lot before you decide, and make sure your going to be happy with the current goal in the long run. It is cheaper to buy one really nice turbo, than three good ones.

I see that your considering bigger injectors. It depends on what your going to tune with.

I like DSMlink. It allows for you to run any size injector and still have stock drive-ability. It does cost a significant amount more that the maft or AFC- Neo your looking at, but it also includes your logger. Defiantly not going to tell you you have to run it, but it is something to consider, especially if you HP goals are a first step, if that is you long term goal, you might not really need DSMlink to get there. AFC, and Maft do not let you adjust timing.

My best advice is due twice the research and buy once, instead of half the research and buying twice.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back