The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

When to replace the timing belt tensioner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadDsm

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 28, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
The tensioner I have has 240 miles of use on it, is it safe to compress it and reuse it, or should I get a new one?

If it's not safe I compress and reuse it, can someone explain why? (Just out of curiosity, I don't have a problem buying a new one.)

It should be fine its new, compress it and be careful when the top looks bad its bad, but reused mine 3 times now about 14 thousand miles on it.

The tensioner I have has 240 miles of use on it, is it safe to compress it and reuse it, or should I get a new one?

If it's not safe I compress and reuse it, can someone explain why? (Just out of curiosity, I don't have a problem buying a new one.)

Its ok to compress it. It was compressed originally to tension the timing.
I don't see why not re-compressing it.?
I say use it.

Perfect, thanks for the help guys!

Just compress the tensioner slowly. Put it in a vice and turn the handle like half a turn then wait 15 seconds then do it again. You can screw them up by compressing them to quickly, at least that's what some say. I've never had an issue with them.

Be sure to look at the pin where it comes out the tensioner, if you see any signs of moisture then replace it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back