The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

EVO 16g vs. 20g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somebody already has adapted it to a DSM, search for the thread. Looked like it was a lot of work but the turbo still pointed towards to alternator, no good for me.

After looking at the bolt hole pattern on the EVO 8 turbine housing, it doesn't look like you could just rotate the turbine housing around either, the bolt hole patterns are nonsymmetrical in both directions, unlike our stock turbine housings. You would only be able get 2 bolts bolted down if you rotated the turbine housing 180*, the other 2 bolts wouldn't line up. Not to mention needing either a new 02 housing or downpipe fabbed up. However, it does look the the funny looking trapezoidal shaped turbine inlets ARE symmetrical, which means they end up approximately in the same spot and orientation if rotated 180*.

In regards to reversing the turbine housing to get the turbo pointed the right way, maybe a machined adapter plate similar to the IHI 16g Killer could be used between the turbo and exhaust manifold to get the bolt patterns correct. The plate would have 6 threaded bolt holes, 2 bolts threaded in from beneath if possible and 4 from the top.

It looks like rotating the turbine housing 180* loses you about 3" of clearance between the radiator and the turbine housing, which might be a problem. A custom heat shielf for sure would be needed. I would only do this with the EVO 6.5 RS T.M.E turbo though, for the maximum spool up advantage and the least exhaust back pressure. Maybe even take the EVO 6.5 RS and swap out the 10.5 cm2 housing for the 9.8 cm2 for the quicker spoolup.

The EVO exhaust manifold/head mounting bolt pattern looks symmetric about the vertical axis and has the same general stud pattern, I'm not sure about the stud spacing though. Maybe I'll buy a exhaust manifold gasket to see if it lines up when reversed. That would be the deal killer if they didn't line up with a DSM bolt pattern.

I think it could be done if there where a custom made exhaust manifold/turbine housing adapter plate and some fiddling with either the EVO 8 02 housing or a fabbed up housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back