The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 1 ECU swap question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsCreations

Probationary Member
Oct 26, 2023
Edmonton, AB_Canada
Hello,

I have a friend with a Evo 1, and she is preparing to do a Evo 6 ECU swap, however the engine has been swapped with a 6 bolt 4g63, we were just wondering if there are any extra steps that are required to use the Evo 6 ECU with the pin out swap?

Not super familiar with 4G63s just looking to help out my friend!

I don't know why you want to use a EVO 6 ECU but the EVO 6 ECU is not plug and play on EVO 1. The ECU plugs are totally different. You need to make a jumper harness at least.
Yes we are going to be doing that since we are aware the pinout is different.

The ECU plug shape is different. So you can't just swap the pins. You would need to make a jumper harness with EVO 1-3/RVR ECU female plugs to EVO 4-8/2G DSM male plugs. And make all pins match each other. Do you already have a jumper harness? Do you mind if I ask, if there is a specific reason why you want do this? Just out of curiosity.

Do you mind if I ask, if there is a specific reason why you want do this? Just out of curiosity.
From my understanding, the car is currently running on the Evo 1 ECU however it runs poorly and its not tuneable with the stock ECU, from what I understand we need the Evo 6 ECU to tune the car properly, sent a email out to wiring specialties to see if they can make a jumper harness for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can make it by yourself if you have a minimum knowledge. But if that's the only reason that you want to tune, do you know you can run ECMLink on the EVO 1 ECU?

If you would go with the EVO 6 ECU, you would at least need to buy a ECU/late EVO MAF/ EVO 5-9 Injector/jumper harness etc etc.

I think you can actually buy the ECMLink for EVO 1-3 with that money. Would be much easier and cheaper. And if you would go with the ECMLink, you can have a lot of help in this forum since it's the most common method to tune for DSM.

You are going to need an evo 6 knock sensor, you need to run a rear o2, and you need to get all the emissions stuff to run or the cel will be on all the time. That is in addition to 30 hours making a patch harness.

Or you could have ECMTuning modify your ECU to accept DSMLink for less money and 0 hours invested. Your call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, so I had to chime in here because I have an Evo 2 with the ECMLink for the Evo 1-3. It is a good starting point for getting into tuning, you will have to either solder it yourself or send in the ECU to ECMTuning to do it for you.

The only thing about it is that for the Evo 1-3 ECMLink only runs v3 lite, as they have yet to write the full v3 version for the early Evos, for the moment.

I am currently looking for the post I've seen a while back, that detailed how to rewire a 2g ECU into the Evo 1-3, which would be more ideal as I think its the closest comparison and you can get full ECMLink V3 which has a ton of the extra goodies you'll want eventually.

If I can find the thread for swapping 2g ECU into an early Evo I'll bring it back here later.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back