The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Dies or wants to die over speed bumps

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm_chuy

Proven Member
Jun 9, 2023
Arlington, Texas
Guys I need help!!! My eclipse always wants to die or it dies when im coming to a
speed-bump.

Along with Steve's post, do you have an insulator over the battery + terminal (so it can't short against something)
Good question, your talking about an insulator sheet? Or the covers for the terminals?
i do not have that now that i think about it

Covers for the terminals to protect them from shorting against something as well as help reduce corrosion. The positive terminal shorting against something (like the hood when battery is not bolted down) is a common cause of engine dying over bumps.

I mean covers like these:
or

Yea, if it's not the battery hitting the hood it gets a lot more difficult tracking the cause down because now all sorts of things are potential causes starting with all the power and ground connections and wires.

Yea, if it's not the battery hitting the hood it gets a lot more difficult tracking the cause down because now all sorts of things are potential causes starting with all the power and ground connections and wires
Hmm yeah i dont think its my hood, i just re painted the underside of my hood. And i don’t see any marks.

Or less likely: Some loose wire/metal touching the alternator's big + cable which goes to battery + (and therefore ignition).
Last owner did say he replaced the alternator. I’ve had my 2g for about a year. And it always wants to turn off over speedbumps ONLY

engine and trans mounts are ok? if they're really loose it can tug wires, also check all connectors that they're good and tight and possibly try the pins out, specially on crank, cam sensors and ignition coil pack

engine and trans mounts are ok? if they're really loose it can tug wires, also check all connectors that they're good and tight and possibly try the pins out, specially on crank, cam sensors and ignition coil pack
Actually no 2 of my motor mounts are blown i replaced 2 other but i didn’t have time. I did think about that though. The wires pulling.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back