The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST cranks, no start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GageO

Probationary Member
Feb 17, 2024
Longmont, Colorado
Hey this is my first post on this forum. My situation is I have a 95 Eclipse GST and it won’t start but it’ll crank. A buddy and I replaced the fuel system entirely. It has spark and good compression. I’m lost and don’t know where to go from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulling the engine and rebuilding it is gonna end the same with a no start condition. If you truly have good compression and good spark check and see if you are getting injector pulse.
Fair point, I did check the injectors and there were 2 that weren’t firing I replaced all 4 with new ones and same thing I looked into it and saw that a crank position sensor could be a cause and replaced that but then the timing got messed up so I’m trying to retime it

Hold up....timing got messed up. Elaborate. Any chance you bent valves?
No I don’t think so, what happened was that when I was replacing the crank position sensor the timing belt got moved forward a few teeth and moved a cam somehow and I was to scared to try and start it because I knew the timing was off and didn’t wanna mess it up further, I’ve never really worked on a dohc engine before so this is new to me

No I don’t think so, what happened was that when I was replacing the crank position sensor the timing belt got moved forward a few teeth and moved a cam somehow and I was to scared to try and start it because I knew the timing was off and didn’t wanna mess it up further, I’ve never really worked on a dohc engine before so this is new to me
DOHC or SOHC, timing does not just slip if properly installed, unless you took something out to replace crank sensor. Also the crank sensor pretty much just wakes up fuel pump by detecting rotation, rebuilding the engine isn't a fix and just stupid to put that much money on working engine as it's probably pretty simple. I wonder if you have bent valves if you tried to spun engine with slipped timing and what has happened before prior you trying to fix it..

Make a car profile so we know modifications you have and let's go by that

so it would just crank and not start before anything then I replaced spark plugs and wires , then an ignition coil then injectors then fuel filter then crank position sensor I haven’t tried starting sense I worked on the crank sensor because of the timing I’ve just been doing research on timing and how to get it back I would try starting in between adding a new part

If your not getting injector pulse on two injectors then it is likely a crank sensor issue or cam sensor. Retime it before turning it over or you risk bent valves. Report back after with results.

Another common no start issue is the PTU so maybe check that as well. But before throwing more parts at it setup a profile with mod list and more details so we can try and help more rather then just throwing out random no start diagnosis without knowing what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your not getting injector pulse on two injectors then it is likely a crank sensor issue or cam sensor. Retime it before turning it over or you risk bent valves. Report back after with results.

Another common no start issue is the PTU so maybe check that as well. But before throwing more parts at it setup a profile with mod list and more details so we can try and help more rather then just throwing out random no start diagnosis without knowing what's going on.
That’s kinda what I was looking into I did do the crank sensor but I need to time it first before I start it. I just made a profile

Did you undo anything on the timing belt to replace the crank sensor? If all you did was turn crank then timing shouldn't be off. Or are you saying you already tried to line up marks and they aren't right?

So once you get your timing right, make sure you have these three things: compression, spark and gas and let's start with that, for compression do dry and wet compression check

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back