The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 7-bolt Which gasket set should I get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victorgalant

Proven Member
Sep 29, 2023
Caracas, Venezuela, South_America
hi, I'm in the process of rebuilding by 1g 7 bolt and i want to know which gaskets should i get.

I already purchased an Apex full set, but it was for a 6 bolt so some of them i can/can't use. the HG came with the set, but it is a composite one and I would rather get an MLS.

I've read that people recomend to get the FEL-PRO HG, but it's not clear to me if they are refering to the one in rockauto (9627PT)

also wanted to know which coversion kit is better, the cometic one (PRO200B) or the one from felpro (cs90861) there isn't much of a difference in cost, and i know both are good brands, but still wanted to get some opinions.

this is all for an N/T aplication

Solution
So, to give a conclusion (correct me if i'm wrong):

Any composite HG is fine for a low HP, N/T application

Felpro kit is fine

Rtv the oil pan, no gasket

Rtv the Rear Main Seal Housing/Holder.
When people refer to Felpro they can sometime be referring to the Permatorque multilayer steel one, but quite often they’re referencing the cheap composite one. Unless you’re having the head resurfaced to the correct RA then a multi layer steel gasket would cause you more problems than anything, and even then you have ZERO to gain using a multilayer steel gasket in a basic na rebuild. That composite gasket included in the Apex set is the same composite gasket that Mitsubishi sells in their oem packaging, it would do absolutely fine for what you’re doing.

You need a gasket kit for 1g 7 bolt. If you can't source it, you get two kits, for 1g 6 bolt and 2g 7 bolt. Those would cover all what you need. Or just order one by one. In this way you wouldn't waste gaskets that you won't use.

1G 7 bolt is technically a 7 bolt engine but with 6 bolt water pump / 6 bolt intake manifold / 6 bolt timing components.

As for the MLS, like @Spleen8urLSX mentioned above that a MLS would cause you more trouble if the machine shop you use is not capable to resurface for MLS. A composite head gasket is much easier to use and give you less trouble. Also your car is a non turbo. You really don't need it.

The 9627PT is a solid gasket when coupled with ARP studs, easily will hold enough power to run in the 10's on the 1/4 mile.

so, I'll stick to the composite HG from the apex kit. I already have all the gaskets for the top end (vc, intake and exhaust manifold, hg, etc) but i'm missing the ones from the bottom end (front cover, oil pan, Rear Main Seal Housing, oil filter).

I found the gasket kits for the 1g 7 bolt I already mentioned before (Cometic and Fel-Pro) but wanted to know which one should i get.

Oil pan doesn't take a gasket and don't use one that's offered in many kits (usually cork).
Oil pan is just a small bead of grey RTV.
Felpro makes perfectly fine gaskets all around, including their composite which I've run for the last decade

hi, I'm in the process of rebuilding by 1g 7 bolt and i want to know which gaskets should i get.

I already purchased an Apex full set, but it was for a 6 bolt so some of them i can/can't use. the HG came with the set, but it is a composite one and I would rather get an MLS.

I've read that people recomend to get the FEL-PRO HG, but it's not clear to me if they are refering to the one in rockauto (9627PT)

also wanted to know which coversion kit is better, the cometic one (PRO200B) or the one from felpro (cs90861) there isn't much of a difference in cost, and i know both are good brands, but still wanted to get some opinions.

this is all for an N/T aplication
We ran 8’s with an eBay composite gasket. If you want peace of mind get the felpro composite.

Oil pan doesn't take a gasket and don't use one that's offered in many kits (usually cork).
Oil pan is just a small bead of grey RTV.
Felpro makes perfectly fine gaskets all around, including their composite which I've run for the last decade
This also applies to the rear main seal housing? If so, i think i have every gasket i need since i also have a 7 bolt front case gasket

There's no problems with the Felpro rear main seal itself or the housing gasket.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean if this:
"Oil pan is just a small bead of grey RTV"
Could apply also to the rear main seal Housing. I've read some people saying that they dont use the gasket and just put RTV on it

The felpro gasket and seal kits work fine.

On some of the cheap sets I’ve seen cam seals that leak.
A while ago, when i knew even less than what i know now, i just bought the apex kit but it was for a 6 bolt. I might use most of that gaskets and seal and well, i'll let you know if it's worth the try or not

I’ve always used the Fel-Pro kits for my unspectacularly normal power levels.

The 7-bolt engine didn’t use a gasket for the rear main seal housing to engine block from the factory, only RTV sealant.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean if this:
"Oil pan is just a small bead of grey RTV"
Could apply also to the rear main seal Housing. I've read some people saying that they dont use the gasket and just put RTV on it

A while ago, when i knew even less than what i know now, i just bought the apex kit but it was for a 6 bolt. I might use most of that gaskets and seal and well, i'll let you know if it's worth the try or not
There's no point dicking with RTV on the seal housing because it's designed for a gasket.
The oil pan was designed for RTV.

There's no point dicking with RTV on the seal housing because it's designed for a gasket.
The oil pan was designed for RTV.
I've been using RTV on the rear main seal holder. The gaskets seem to be rock hard anymore when you get them in a kit.

So, to give a conclusion (correct me if i'm wrong):

Any composite HG is fine for a low HP, N/T application

Felpro kit is fine

Rtv the oil pan, no gasket

Rtv the Rear Main Seal Housing/Holder.

Solution
This also applies to the rear main seal housing?
7 bolt rear main seal gasket is originally RTV, there is no paper gasket from factory. That's only for 6 bolt.

Edit : my bad, Brian has already mentioned it above.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back