The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What RPM are your lifters good for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoyoFCT

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Well the common trend has been to go towards the revised lifters, which I have used with great success in many stock motors. I present a question as to how reliable/durable the revised lifters are at higher rpm's so im looking to get any feedback from people who have solid experience... no hearsay or opinions, just real data! I am currently building a 2.1 and have planned for ~9k but i may be pushing it a little higher depending on where the power range ends.

Now the hearsay/rumors/opinions/facts that I have heard are;

-revised lifters will cause pump up effects, and are known for collapsing/failing at upper rpms and are only safe to ~8500

-2g lifters use a smaller plunger, and have been successfully tested at very very high rpms

-1g lifters have a larger plunger than 2g's and are known for collapsing quite frequently

Here are some direct quotes on this topic from Fp's website, and kevin at kiggly racing.

from FP
For very high RPM applications we recommend using the early DSM style HLA's (they have a smaller diameter plunger) and reducing oil pressure to the HLA oil galley by using the early JDM oil regulator or a restricted orifice in the oil distribution block. These two items reduce HLA pump up effects.

I'm very curious if anyone has used this "jdm oil regulator" and I'm assuming this is the piece that comes on jdm cylinder heads that is secured by three bolts i believe. up top inbetween the cams.

kiggly
First off, thanks for the order. I'm only running my car to 9k right now (it is a 2.3l), on 2g lifters. I have several customers running my springs with 2g lifters to 10.5-11k with no problems. The 2g lifters have a smaller hydraulic plunger diameter than the 1g's. This makes the lifters less likely to stick collapsed because the higher operating pressure chamber (due to the smaller plunger) tends to self-clean better. I don't draw any distinctions between the 1g and 2g lifters for performance though. If the valvetrain setup is stable, the lifter really does absolutely nothing. Check out the video link on my website (link underneath the picture on the valvespring page). This was actually the most unstable rpm during the test. I should have an explanation on the website for why this is the posted video. It is up there because the spring is excited by the cam opening event, but it calms down (self-damps) before the next cam opening event. This is what we call a 'surge' point for the spring. Anyway, this video was with a 2g lifter on a Crane grind and 9.25k was the most 'active' point up to 12.8k where I stopped the test. I don't recommend running past 10.5k though because I've seen quick rocker tip wear by 11k.

Again I believe the information from both of these sources to be very helpful in my plans, and I appreciate kevin taking the time to elaborate on his experiences. I'm fairly certain that I will be using New 2g lifters, but at 34 or so a pop. it doesn't sound like a fun investment. Solid lifters are not an option for me fyi. I would appreciate anyone who can describe their experience with ___ lifters, and especially anyone who has experienced a failure and can explain the specifics of that failure.

I have run my 2g lifters up to 9.5 K and they have been working fine .
I also dont drive the car Daily it is more of a Weekend car .

Hydraulic lifters used to have pump-up troubles when they fed the lift through some nice, whippy pushrods. It's not so much an issue when they're working the stiff rocker of a DSM.

I've not heard the restrictor story before.

Well The first time I heard of it is from FP's site, I would love to just buy a set of 80-90 dollar revised lifters.. but I just dont know if they will support the high rpm's reliably. Im leaning towards just coughing up the money for a new set of 2g lifters but man 34/each :cry:

What's the difference between a set of "80-90 dollar revised lifters" and the 2g lifters you can buy from the dealer now? All 2g's have a superceded part number (MD377054) so I would think they're all revised too. You may have to buy used 2g lifters to get what you want.

turbosax, you beat me too it. Everything was superceded in mitsubishis manual (at least at my dealer) and where can i get a whole set for 90 bucks? My dealer still wants like 16 dollars each IIRC.

The only experience i have is that i honestly prefer hand picking the 1g lifters from a pile of them i have in my tool box. I swap them out one at a time until there the quietist set i can make. I went to 2g lifters under advice from Darren at FFWD and my car just got way more "ticky" and i'm wondering if that isn't why my car won't go past 7200 RPM sometimes *shrugs* The car will just start to break up and if i stay in it, it will fall on it's face completely. Of course i still need valve springs too.

My friends Craig's car that i helped build this most recent motor on is using stock 2g lifters and pulls to 9k easily.. I shift it at about 85-8600 when i drive it.. He wrings it out to 9100 or so.

It is the strangest thing. My car has never had any lifter tick, I have swapped the head 4 times now and swapped my lifters with them. I gave my buddy a set of revised lifters and he still has extremely loud tick. I don't get it. Hopefully I can still say this when I install my 272s.

Well The first time I heard of it is from FP's site,
Ah. You first heard it from someone hoping to sell you something. There's a shocker.
I would love to just buy a set of 80-90 dollar revised lifters.. but I just dont know if they will support the high rpm's reliably. Im leaning towards just coughing up the money for a new set of 2g lifters but man 34/each :cry:
You get very little payoff from revving the snot out of a DSM. Still, lifter pump-up is seldom an issue for them.

I'm not so sure if the lifters from mitsubishi are actually "revised" or not. they change their part numbers all the time though, doesn't mean the actual part changes.

The motor im building is a 2.1, not just a 2.0 or 2.3/2.4 They seem to do very well in the upper rpm's im not sure what the powerband is like exactly but I had hoped to rev to 9k reliably at least. My 90 1g w/ 95k miles actually doesnt tick a drop, I was thinking of maybe yanking those lifters to use for this head so that might be the route I take.

Thanks for all the replies.

What's the difference between a set of "80-90 dollar revised lifters" and the 2g lifters you can buy from the dealer now? All 2g's have a superceded part number (MD377054) so I would think they're all revised too. You may have to buy used 2g lifters to get what you want.

I'm planning to order one single 2g lifter to look at it, and I will update this thread but Im going to guess that it will be a standard 2g lifter I don't think "revised" lifters were designed by mitsu I believe this was an aftermarket design I could be wrong

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back