The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Muffler or Resonator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancampbell98

Proven Member
Mar 24, 2023
Wildomar, California
Need advice from your exhaust tech guys. So I recently straight piped my 2G GST. It’s has an MHI Evo 3 Big 16G, Fp race manifold, stm recirculated o2 housing, 3” downpipe, 3” straight pipe exhaust. This setup has more pros than cons and i absolute love the turbo whistle the car produces at idle and low rpms. It truly is amazing. My only con is that it is a little too rowdy when flooring it for low to mid rpm range. Anyone have suggestions on how to keep the loud turbo whistle but tone the exhuast down a little? Should I go with a certain muffler or resonator? What is the difference between the two? Before I straight piped it, I had a 3 inch straight pipe to a Greddy revolution rs muffler and it sounded great but it did toned down the turbo whistle drastically and it didn’t become prevalent until I cut it off. It seems like I can’t have my cake and eat it too LOL. Might have to just stick with the straight pipe because I love the whistle sounds. What do you guys think?

You could maybe get a silencer depending on whatever exhaust you’re running I have the same set up full Megan with resi and muffler delete actually has very nice tone

Your car does sound amazing. Buy yeah no way around it, turbo whistle will go away with a resonator or muffler.

I prefer a deep throaty exhaust like a thermal r&d. I heard a clip of STM's cat back and it sounded really good too. I just installed a full 3 inch exhaust with a Thermal cat back and it's not what I was expecting. I'll probably do a FP mani and aftermarket o2 housing and see if it changes the sound.

I have a straight 3" with a resonator in the cat converter area. No turbo whistle or cool noises but the overall sound is great. A bit on the louder side but not too loud IMO.

Your car does sound amazing. Buy yeah no way around it, turbo whistle will go away with a resonator or muffler.

I prefer a deep throaty exhaust like a thermal r&d. I heard a clip of STM's cat back and it sounded really good too. I just installed a full 3 inch exhaust with a Thermal cat back and it's not what I was expecting. I'll probably do a FP mani and aftermarket o2 housing and see if it changes the sound.
I might test out a tomei muffler maybe. My buddy has a wrx, catless dp with a tomei that has a resonator and a muffler and his (stock turbo) turbo whistle is still pronounced. I’m assuming it varies from car to car or maybe because of the design of the tomei being titanium, who knows. Usually in most causes though mufflers and resonators do take away turbo whistle noises.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back