The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Most Excellent Talon TSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks!

Today I have a challenge. For my own warped reasons, (and Allegheny County inspection rules,) I want to put a cat back on this car. Stock exhaust is 2", and Rock Auto shows that an AP 642403 is a workable match. 17.5 length. The car actually has a 2.5" exhaust, which I intend to keep. Can anyone help me find an appropriate part? Any guidance GREATLY appreciated.

OK, another day, another issue. While doing pre-inspection of the brake calipers and pads, I noticed some wear on the right rear brake hose. Closer examination shows that the rear left caliper is different than the right.

Left caliper (left photo, top-down view) shows that the mounting hole for the hose is at an angle, which keeps the hose far away from the rim. On the RIGHT caliper (bottom-up view, right photo) the mounting hole points straight toward the edge of the rim, and this geometry seems to have led to some wear on the hose when the suspension flexes up and down. They both work fine, pads and rotors are in spec.

This is a '90 Talon, was something different on the original setup of these? Maybe there was a banjo bolt for the right caliper, and the right side has a 91-94 replacement caliper? I'm not hung up on which way to go here, I just want them to be stock, match, and be safe. Left-side setup seems more logical.

Caliper_Rear_Left.jpeg
Caliper Rear Right.jpeg

The right doesn't look like an OEM caliper to me. Granted the '90 does have different PN for rear calipers.
1990: Right MB587961 Left MB587960
1991-1994: Right MB699673 Left MB699672

I would recommend replacing those hoses too. I had one rupture a few months ago and nearly lost all brakes.

While we're here ... do the 3-digit numbers in the castings correlate to the part numbers? Or are they simply mold identifiers?
I would recommend replacing those hoses too. I had one rupture a few months ago and nearly lost all brakes.
Thank you for the reinforcement on that, I was planning to do so.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back