The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

broken cas=no start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williillii

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 31, 2008
Tampa, Florida
So I started changing my cam seals today, and came to a fork in the road...do I take the timing belt off? or leave it on and just remove the tension? or leave it on and don't touch the tension? I guess the DSMer in me led me down the path of most-half-assed-ness, so I didn't take the tension off. I've come to learn this is a bad idea on 95-96 cars, as the CAS is directly behind the intake cam gear, and apparently very fragile.

While I was manuevering the intake cam gear back into position, I (well my dad actually but I'm not going to blame him for trying to help) the CAS got in the way and some bits of plastic broke off. Now when I start the car, it immediately dies, regardless of throttle input.

I'm posting this because I'm not sure if its because I messed up the timing also, or just the CAS being borked is causing it not to run. I checked the timing at the cam gears, dowel pins up and marks aligned. I can't find the lower timing marks though. So I just pulled plug #1 and put a socket extension in there to see when its at TDC. At TDC the cam sprockets line up, so my timing is correct, right?

Thanks for any input

If it cranks over and starts and dies, it's the sensor. Mine was going out the door and would shut off randomly. Then refuse to stay started. Replaced it and now it's fine.

Thats the jist of it...Hopefully a 1g CAS swap will solve this without too much trouble. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back