The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Bad coolant sensor ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmj89

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 11, 2008
Miami, Florida
Here is a pic i took this morning.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The connector appears to be bridged, and i don't like to run "band-aid" fixes on my car, i like it oem functional, so i was wondering if the coolant temp sensor needs to replaced and that that's why the previous owner bridged the connector and left it disconnected ?
Both fans are always on when the car is started only, and where can i buy this sensor other than mitsu and autozone ?
Thanks for any help.

Update - now the fan actually turns on when it's supposed to, i am very puzzled at this point.

All i did was, wit hthe car on, disconnected the fan connector and reconnected it and after car reached full warm up, the fan kicked on shortly after and then turn off.

Blah... i still will take it in to get checked to make sure everything is fine.

Update - now the fan actually turns on when it's supposed to, i am very puzzled at this point.

All i did was, wit hthe car on, disconnected the fan connector and reconnected it and after car reached full warm up, the fan kicked on shortly after and then turn off.

Blah... i still will take it in to get checked to make sure everything is fine.

hmmm that's weird. One question.

If it's working, what's the shop going to look for? Just drive it around, keep a close eye on temps, the moment you see the temps going a bit over the normal point crank on your a/c then both of your fans turn on. :thumb:

Yeah i guess i'll do that, i thought maybe take it in to see if they can find a short or something of the like ?
I'll do what you suggested and hopefully it goes well.

Yeah i guess i'll do that, i thought maybe take it in to see if they can find a short or something of the like ?
I'll do what you suggested and hopefully it goes well.

You can inspect that yourself. Follow the wiring, make sure everything is free of any contact with chassis/metal. If you have to take off the wire loom and inspect the wire individually. it only runs from the fan to the fuse box I believe. Might be some work, but beats paying a mechanic bro. Just my two cents you know.

Problem solved, both fans are working perfect.

Only issue i'm having is that the car never gets to full operating temperature, doesn't get to the half needle ever, i think it may be cause of me running no thermostat which i will be receiving my oem t-stat thursday and see if that solves that issue.

Does anyone know if a auto parts store brand coolant sensor vs. a OEM coolant sensor might have different reading values causing the fans to turn on sooner ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back