The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto Trans Slip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointblank9957

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
i have a 98 Eclipse GS Spyder, recently the trans started to feel like it was slipping, i can take off normally and the revs can keep climbing but the car wont go any faster. the tranny fluid doesnt appear to be burnt or low, the CEL isnt on. the car also runs really rich from a dead o2 and no cat. any suggestions? also combating a dying alternator.

Fix the problems you know you have. I'd be very reluctant to drive the car at all with a dead front 02. Additionally, it's common for a DSM alt. to fail in a fashion that overvolts the battery and subsequently the wiring and devices attached.

I hope an auto guy chimes in to help you but when I hear things like bad alternator and symptoms that could be considered electrical, I think about deep fried TCU. It won't hurt to inspect it.

EDIT: sorry, thought it was a gst instead of a gs.

Last edited:
Fix the problems you know you have. I'd be very reluctant to drive the car at all with a dead front 02. Additionally, it's common for a DSM alt. to fail in a fashion that overvolts the battery and subsequently the wiring and devices attached.

I hope an auto guy chimes in to help you but when I hear things like bad alternator and symptoms that could be considered electrical, I think about deep fried TCU. It won't hurt to inspect it.

rear o2. i dont have a front o2. i'm workin on the current problems. the alt didnt spike the battery, the voltage stays around 9-10v. its not even enough to crank the engine, so i have to bring my jumpbox everywhere

i've been under my car when it was up on a lift, there is no first o2

Last edited:
Are you checking the ATF with the car level, at normal operating temperature with the engine running and the transmission in neutral after shifting through each gear?

If you do it wrong the level will read normal when it is actually low.

If the slipping stops after driving for a while then low level is confirmed. The ATF expands when it gets hot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back