The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Any cnc guys up for making a new dsm axle puller?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
Here is the idea and I love it... the whole kit is over 1k but we only need dsm axle size! Someone with cnc capability could crank this out pretty easy.

Its 2 "u" shaped wedges that bolt together with a place for a slide hammer to screw into.

The slide hammer works if you can grip the axle. I had a stuck cup and used a vicegrip slide hammer to pull. But this could save some major headaches

Thanks Marty for sending the original video

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Fancy tool, is it really needed? A prybar has always worked for me.
Ive had several issues with my passenger side on this auto trans where the cup got stuck and the axle was sacrificed.

Maybe in most cases no its probably not. In mine this endes up being the onky way the cup came out last time

On an auto it can be a SOB. The cup is down in a hole and you can't use a prybar. The oe auto cups had an extra nub on them further out to pry on.
Yes sir... i have a photo saved to preserve the memory! Autozone eliminated these and obviously long since discontinued from mitsu!

I had an auto awd, but don’t recall haw hard it was to remove axles. Is there any way to get a hose clamp around the cv cup so that you have something to pry against?
sometimes it works but sometimes the clamp gets destroyed. This was a heavy duty boost clamp for a truck.

When i refreshed my auto axles and cv boots, the pry ar worked well. When the passender side got a bit stuck i put a flate blade screwdriver in betweek the cross shaft on the diff and tapped it out, that made life a breeze.

I know a tools can help but 3 times i have had them out and been fine. Im sure the tool is already made by someone out there. Just have to find out who makes it and buy one.

When i refreshed my auto axles and cv boots, the pry ar worked well. When the passender side got a bit stuck i put a flate blade screwdriver in betweek the cross shaft on the diff and tapped it out, that made life a breeze.

I know a tools can help but 3 times i have had them out and been fine. Im sure the tool is already made by someone out there. Just have to find out who makes it and buy one.
It was just a thought to have one readily available. I have destroyed 2 axles on mine with only once getting it to come out willingly.

The tool is there but 1k is steep. I can just destroy the axle and use my lifetime warranty at autozone if need be

It was just a thought to have one readily available. I have destroyed 2 axles on mine with only once getting it to come out willingly.

The tool is there but 1k is steep. I can just destroy the axle and use my lifetime warranty at autozone if need be
1k does seem very expensive. I have not read up on "SAID" tool but it must be able to be used on multiple sized cups right? its a basic tool but i guess the market was empty and someone jumped in but they will sell them, i don't get the world sometimes but it happens haha

1k does seem very expensive. I have not read up on "SAID" tool but it must be able to be used on multiple sized cups right? its a basic tool but i guess the market was empty and someone jumped in but they will sell them, i don't get the world sometimes but it happens haha
Ya it has 4 different sizes in it... but man thats pricey. If I ran a shop and needed a deduction id spend the cash

O'reallys has a tool kinda like this. check that out and see if it will work. I don't have any auto's and any auto trans that cross my path go straight to crusher so none to look at here. Even on manual trans it can be a pain to get them out on occasion. I had a parts store one that was brutal stuck. I had to take trans out and apart to get it out. Chisled the ring in half inside the diff. fun.

O'reallys has a tool kinda like this. check that out and see if it will work. I don't have any auto's and any auto trans that cross my path go straight to crusher so none to look at here. Even on manual trans it can be a pain to get them out on occasion. I had a parts store one that was brutal stuck. I had to take trans out and apart to get it out. Chisled the ring in half inside the diff. fun.
Next time you get an auto your way ill be the crusher. We have to keep parts around!

I've never crushed any DSM part. That would be a shame for the platform. I'll Give it away or sell it but I'll never throw one part "away". To dam hard to find.

If you can get one axle out I believe you should be able to run a long punch thru the diff to the other side and use that to knock the other axle out. I've not done that to a DSM before but don't see why it wouldn't work. Unless the diff pin is so big that you can't get a large enough punch thru to do so.

That's the deal, the pin is pretty big. I ground down a whole side of a small pry bar handle just to sneak it by after I bent it, and then had a heck of a time digging it back out of the trans and not tearing up a seal. It sucked. I have also ground notches into the rebuilt shaft ends so I can possibly pry the axle out if I have to (and I have to, my mainshaft is still broke).

This wasnt meant to be a how to...weve all had successes and failures in different variations. Just thought there might be a tiny place in the market for this for dsm specific.

If I ever get to race this thing Id be pissed if a broken axle took me out for the day because it got stuck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back