The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G AEM twin Fire w/COP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bu3bu3

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2008
Columbia, Maryland
I have searched every where for a definite answer for my question, "Do you have an install steps to get the AEM twin fire install in a 1G eclipse." The answer was 285 views without any comment so I took the initiative to do a step by step of how to install it,

Step # 1

You need to follow this thread, I know it is for a 2G but it is the same wire set up.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/290665-coil-plug-wiring-install-pics.html

and the bottom line of the thread is, Bottom of Coil #1 to the Top of Coil #4. The Bottom of Coil #2 to the Top of Coil #3. Leaving the Top of Coil #1 and Coil #2 for Power +12v and the Bottom of Coil #3, and Coil #4
for signals.
I recommend to use a soldering gun and heat shrink, to insure no issues with wiring being disconnected any kind of wire resistance. I used 16 Gauge wire for all of my installation, and I used Lowe's for all of my shopping. Best prices in town and they have a wide collection of Wiring, and Bullet Disconnect Pairs. :hellyeah:

Step # 2

The AEM twin fire has an input and an output "daa :sneaky:" with Two +540v wires, Tan and Pink.

According to http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images/Products/Installation Instructions Twin Fire.pdf The pink wire is designated to Coil #2, and Coil #4, where the Tan wire is designated to Coil #1, and Coil#3. The OEM Coils on any Eclipse are (1,4), and (2,3). It does not matter what is say on page 5 that pink is for (2,4) and Tan (1,3). Make sure Brown goes with Tan, and Orange goes with Pink.

Trigger #1 is the Yellow/Green, Trigger #2 is Yellow/black, Power is Black/White. BUSCHUR RACING | COIL-ON-PLUG IGNITION | 90-99 DSM

Input,Connect the Yellow/Green (OEM) to White (AEM), and Yellow/Black (OEM) to Green (AEM). Meanwhile Ground both of the Violet and Yellow. Connect the Black/White (OEM) to both Red (AEM).
Output,Connect Top #1 (COP) to Tan (AEM), TOP#2 (COP) toPink, Bottom #3 (COP) to Orange (AEM), Bottom #4 (COP) to Brown (AEM). Do not connect the blue and Gray to anything, just use tape on the end so it won't touch anything.

Step #3

There are three switches on the AEM unit itself. if all of the switches in the down position, that means they are all on. Make sure that Switch 2 Trigger Edge is on the OFF position because you are pretty much installing it after the Ignitor. You can keep it on if you are taping into the triggers from the ECU which they are Pin 54 Yellow (T1), Pin 55 Yellow/Red (T2). If you are interested in running the engine smooth Switch 1 Multi-Strike Disable then turn it off, otherwise keep it on to makes engine timing much easier to check.

NOTE

In case of car does not start, then you have made something wrong with the wiring or forgot to turn off the second switch.

Here is a video when my wiring was royally wrong. :rocks:
‪Eclipse 1g Starting Issue‬‏ - YouTube

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back