The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

valve cover gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeJekqol

Probationary Member
Feb 9, 2012
Clinton Townshi, Michigan
i know this is a really dumb question but i have a 98 eclipse RS, and its my first car, and im slowlyyy rebuilding it. Im trying to do the valve cover, spark plugs, and Spark plug ignition coil all at once but i have looked every where and my haynes manual about replacing the gasket but idk if i have all the parts, i have the "square(VC)" gasket and 4 spark plug gasket/seals, do i need the half circle seal gasket or not?

Not sure what you're talking about with the "half circle seal".

Replacing the VC and spark plug seals is a no-brainer. Out with the old, clean up the gasket surface on the head, a lil dab of RTV to hold things in place (remember a little goes a long way) and in with the new. If you need step by step instructions, follow this:

2GNT.com - Replacing_valve_cover_and_spark_plug_gaskets

He means the half moon, they now do them in aluminum

Oh sorry i didnt see your n/t i dont know about 420a engines but im sure they might use similar gaskets and all the seals we have to replace on the 4g63

Oh sorry i didnt see your n/t i dont know about 420a engines but im sure they might use similar gaskets and all the seals we have to replace on the 4g63

I don't believe you need the half moon. I know the 4g63 does. But I'm pretty sure on our 420s you don't.

IT should be aluminum on the 420a. I always pop them out, clean the surfaces and put a new film of rtv along the bottom of it.

he is referring to the cam plag/seal. Just pop it up clean the surface on it and the spot on the head, re-layer a thin coat of RTV and put it back on.

Ahh yes, the half moon aluminum piece. I recall now. If there are no leaks in that area then don't bother popping it out and cleaning/reapplying RTV. Just stick to doing the VC and spark plug seals.

thankyou everyone as i stated. first car,chosea 420 for a decent "easy" engine to work on and learn about. and to Ec1pse, you double posted LOL and i posted in the 420a zone, I just wanted to know i had everything before i actually take the VC off, i have 4 new spark plug gaskets and one VC gasket, im buying new spark plugs and sealant when(theday) i take it off. im also burning oil but idk if it the HG(head gasket) or the VC, i had oil in spark plug "1"'s threading when i changed then back in july ish, can anyone help me with what this could be?

Last edited:
thankyou everyone as i stated. first car,chosea i had oil in spark plug "1"'s threading when i changed then back in july ish, can anyone help me with what this could be?

Spark plug gasket most likely. When you replace the gaskets that should do the trick.

its really not "eating" oil, you can smell it burn very harshly while i drive but it really doent burn through it. I'd say i add a quart once a month if that?. it has alil over 175k on it, i grind the living shit out of my transmission with the way i drive(i drive a auto like a manual basically)

do what? idk what that means, and the car wasmostly toast, i bought it over priced for 3k 120kmiles and hidden issues/rust/damage up the wazoo, i got screwed for my first car=[

do what? idk what that means, and the car wasmostly toast, i bought it over priced for 3k 120kmiles and hidden issues/rust/damage up the wazoo, i got screwed for my first car=[
ROFL

That s how my first 2g was full of :confused: surprizes and i had to figure it out on my own because everybody was mad i bought such a P.O.S. But that the fun part of owning DSM because a year later my white 2g was a real head turner:rocks:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back