The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Car dies in motion when hot still have spark and fuel idk want it is NEED HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ordell

Probationary Member
Jun 8, 2019
Hartford, Connecticut
Car drives fine but when hot it cut off and blows fuse the engine montuer 30 amp fuses and the check engine light Disappear off the dash and then car won’t start and it does crank I think it’s a voltage or a ground problem?

Give us a list of what you've checked already. Sounds like something is drawing a heavier load when hot of it's blowing a fuse. You'll need to trace down that component and ensure it's properly grounded and the power feed is not compromised.

How hot are we talking, just at operating temp?

I replace alternator, iac , camshaft position sensor crankshaft too check fuses I try cleaning grounds but the car has a small coolant leak so I top it off now n then but car over heat when it not in motion as long as the car is moving it doesn’t overheat

I’m plan on fixing the cooling problem but It not worth it if the car can’t start just need some idea to help solve the problem and I’m getting code IAC target idle not reach/ vacuum leak and intake air temp sensor high or low voltage

Fix the cooling issues, and try another MAF if you have access to one. I inspect the and test the MAF wiring as well. Also closely inspect and test the IAC valve and it's wiring.

You may being going into over temp protection of some kind, but it sounds like it dies when idling while hot, so an IAC and/or IAT reading being out of wack and it kills ignition.

Fix the cooling issues

You may being going into over temp protection of some kind, but it sounds like it dies when idling while hot, so an IAC and/or IAT reading being out of wack and it kills ignition.

Totally get the coolant issue sorted. Mine did the same thing after a coolant line cracked and leaked all of my coolant out, thought I had a more complicated problem until I went to put coolant in it and heard it pissing all over the ground. Replaced the hose and it hasn't given me this problem since.

And apologies @Ordell I posted in your build log about the MAF, the 420a doesn't have a MAF sensor, only a MAP sensor which is on the passenger side of the intake manifold. You could check the port to make sure it's not clogged up, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

I.............car over heat when it not in motion, as long as the car is moving, it doesn’t overheat

ARe your fans working?
Sounds like there is no airflow thru the radiator a stop/ low speed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back