The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Alternator bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akoloni

Probationary Member
Sep 3, 2023
Skjeberg, Europe
Hey! I think the alternator on my 420A broke, so i am trying to take it out and Find a Replacement.. but the problem I have is with the loosening the bracket. The bracket is 3 bolts, 2 of which I have gotten out. They are REALLY tight on there. The last one I can’t get loose because either the socket is too short so the tool goes into the pulleys, or the socket is too long so I can’t get the tool on the socket because the frame of the car is in the way.. and I can’t get a wrench on there in the correct angle so I can put a pipe over it. And it’s too tight to get loose with just a wrench. I got the 2 out with a cheater bar but barely. Those 2 are not close to the pulley or frame therefore I got them out.. any tips ?

Why are you removing the alternator bracket from the engine? Just remove the alternator from the bracket.
Also, what evidence do you have that the alternator is broken? Have you tested it? The OE alternators can last a very long time in these cars, so I wouldn't go replacing them until absolutely necessary.

Yes i tested the alternator. Its toast.
I just read a bit on forums and YouTube and a lot of people said to take the bracket off for getting it out easier. Plus the bracket is kind of stuck to the alternator (problably just a bunch of old grime)

But i got the last bolt loose today and easily slid the alternator out😊

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back