The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G My Engine blew up!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancampbell98

Proven Member
Mar 24, 2023
Wildomar, California
What went wrong? Go easy on me. Constructive feed back welcomed. I’m still very new.

To give context my engine is stock. Stock bottom end, stock head. I heard from a lot that these stock blocks can handle 300hp easy and can be maintained safely. I did an Evo 3 big 16g with ALL supporting mods. I mean ALL SUPPORTING MODS. Did not cheap out on this one at all. Got it tuned by someone who is very reputable and legit. His goal was to keep the car safe and reliable and recommended that I not push the car too far knowing the engine has 200k miles and stock block etc. On E85 the car threw down 308hp on 25psi on the dyno which I was happy with and we didn’t wanna push our luck anymore, so we kept it simple. Not even 30 minutes later my engine goes bye bye on the highway pushing 80mph 18-20ish psi. Oil pressure shot down and smoke everywhere There was a piece of the block I’m assuming on top of the valve cover which leads me to believe it’s more than a blown head gasket.

I do have the 96’ 7 bolt which is one of the worst and 200k miles so if that’s the reason I wouldn’t be surprised. Had an oil analysis done and had the engine looked at and there were no signs the engine was read to go. Should I rebuild a stock engine with less miles? Or just go fully built engine?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Mileage is only somewhat relevant in cases like this, it all comes down to how it was treated and maintained when it comes to mileage. As far as your engine failure, could be any number of things, injector could’ve gave out mid pull, there could’ve been something going on inside prior that you were unaware of and that’s when it decided to show, really any number of variables there. If you were logging when it occured that’d be the first place to look.

So sorry man....Any other clues? Did you notice any lean readings from your wideband or stuttering during acceleration previous to detonation?
Honestly my guy, wideband was good. Everything was good. Talked to my tuner and mechanic. Seems like it was just time for the engine to go. 207k miles on stock block. 95-96 block which is the worst one. I was warned it could go both ways. We babied the tune to play it safe and it still went boom so. Gonna focus on getting a new 97-99 7 bolt and doing a built engine. Just need it to withstand 300-350 range.

How was fuel pressure? Did it rise 1:1 ok and was setup properly? Without a log we will just guess and as your were still fresh on that tune you best be logging till you was 100% sure and happy it all looks good for some time.

So what went wrong with the oil pressure? How old was that pump and was it sealed correctly? Oil pressure drop causing the engine to go bad is not going to be tune releated. Thats going to be a part failure, if it was this the crank would of spun a bearing so strip it apart and check how the crank is.

95 to 97 are the same. The split thrust didn't happen until 98.
As far as "worst" I don't know. If it's still together check the end play. Maybe you are a crankwalk victim and didn't know it.

Buy a 6 bolt and build it. Part of the game. Who knows what caused it like stated above i doubt detonation did it. Likely crankwalk or rod bearing failure. When you pull it apart you may have a better explanation as too what happened.

Buy a 6 bolt and build it. Part of the game. Who knows what caused it like stated above i doubt detonation did it. Likely crankwalk or rod bearing failure. When you pull it apart you may have a better explanation as too what happened.
Yea gonna take it apart soon. Had a chuck of the block in my hand so who knows. My goal is 300-350 so I’m most likely gonna get a 7 bolt 98-99 and do a fully built bottom end and head. Would love to do 6 bolt but it’s to hard of a find and lots of work to make it work. Built 7 bolt will be easier and more convenient for my goals.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back