The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Altered Mental Status(1G AWD 5spd)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmm. My 3.5 and 3 ton floor jacks are not unreasonably large or heavy. They are low profile though. What did you buy? I have Craftsman and Daytona brand 3.5 ton jacks. I know the Craftsman jacks are only 81lbs each per instruction manual. The Daytona either didn't come with papers or I threw them away (most likely), but they feel very similar in weight, perhaps slightly lighter.

That being said, having a heavy unit isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least you can count on it not to fold up on you. (Yes that happens sometimes). It may be annoying to drag that thing around though. Ahh, imagine the sound of a 106lb floor jack with metal wheels, thundering across a driveway late at night LOL

Edit: the Daytona 3 ton weighs 79lbs per the website. I've been using both of them for 3 years with no apparent quality issues. Not as often as the old Craftsman though.

Hmm. My 3.5 and 3 ton floor jacks are not unreasonably large or heavy. They are low profile though. What did you buy? I have Craftsman and Daytona brand 3.5 ton jacks. I know the Craftsman jacks are only 81lbs each per instruction manual. The Daytona either didn't come with papers or I threw them away (most likely), but they feel very similar in weight, perhaps slightly lighter.

That being said, having a heavy unit isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least you can count on it not to fold up on you. (Yes that happens sometimes). It may be annoying to drag that thing around though. Ahh, imagine the sound of a 106lb floor jack with metal wheels, thundering across a driveway late at night LOL

Edit: the Daytona 3 ton weighs 79lbs per the website. I've been using both of them for 3 years with no apparent quality issues. Not as often as the old Craftsman though.

This one is an amazon ching-chong special. I did a bunch of research though, and it's actually pretty good. Just gotta bleed the shit out of it first. But I had no idea it was the size of a small country. When I'm not enjoying my only day off, I'll take a picture of it by the car for comparison. Shit is hilarious. It's still low-profile though, so that's good.

Hilariously big aside, its nice to have something that will lift my CUV, the Talon, and a truck I may/may not get (when they're not absolutely idiotically priced) in the future. Plus if the foundation starts crumbling on my house, I can hold the house up with it. :p

This one is an amazon ching-chong special. I did a bunch of research though, and it's actually pretty good. Just gotta bleed the shit out of it first. But I had no idea it was the size of a small country. When I'm not enjoying my only day off, I'll take a picture of it by the car for comparison. Shit is hilarious. It's still low-profile though, so that's good.

Hilariously big aside, its nice to have something that will lift my CUV, the Talon, and a truck I may/may not get (when they're not absolutely idiotically priced) in the future. Plus if the foundation starts crumbling on my house, I can hold the house up with it. :p
I was able to snag the 3 ton pittsburg low pro from harbor freight and man that thing is heavy. I bought 2 when they were going for 100 a peice but one decided to stop working when it wanted, and right before I yanked the handle and yoinked it in the bed of my truck it wanted to work. So she's now an outside jack when it decides to behave I may slink it back into the garage but maybe not.

I was able to snag the 3 ton pittsburg low pro from harbor freight and man that thing is heavy. I bought 2 when they were going for 100 a peice but one decided to stop working when it wanted, and right before I yanked the handle and yoinked it in the bed of my truck it wanted to work. So she's now an outside jack when it decides to behave I may slink it back into the garage but maybe not.
Damn leave it outside, giver a lil something to think about. 🤣

Just look at this girthy boi.

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5553.jpeg

It's almost 3 feet long. LOL But it feels solid AF, and has a total lift height of I think like 32". Crazy.

Damn leave it outside, giver a lil something to think about. 🤣

That had me dead too. Freakin' hilarious.

How much was the orange chicken special?? That thing seems like something I need right now!!

I think like $200 including shipping and fees and etc. Not bad considering it's for low profile vehicles and SUVs both, with a lifetime warranty and 2 year service-related warranty and it's a "quick pump" so like two pumps brings it up halfway to it's 32" lift height. This thing seriously feels so solid. (It's 106 f*ckin' pounds for crying out loud!)

Is it weird that having this jack is giving me motivation to finish the Talon? Getting excited to work on it because of a damn floor jack. Lol.

Going out of town this weekend, and the next weekend I volunteered to stage the ambulance at a local circle track(think freedom factory sized) which is gonna be cool to get to watch for free. But, the first week of April y’all…that’s the week. It’s my birthday week, I have the whole week off, and it’s time to get this Eagle soaring. Or at least flying.

Package secured, repeat, package is secured.

IMG_5573.jpeg

IMG_5574.jpeg

This thing looks great and the cables look like brand new. That’s awesome. Came with a good transfer case and cables/shifter base too.

Gonna degrease it and paint it so it looks new. So excited man.

Also: I’ve been thinking…why aren’t us DSM guys using a vacuum pump or vacuum assisted catch can setup like oem cars use these days? The same mechanical vacuum pump is on like every new turbo car, and I feel like it could be fit on a dsm cam and head super easily. Or you could just use a VW electric vacuum pump. Idk, shower thoughts. But seems like it’d help.

why aren’t us DSM guys using a vacuum pump or vacuum assisted catch can setup like oem cars use these days?
That wouldn't work very well with our -AN fittings to an unsealed catch can. DSMrs are so smart and frugal, then you see that trend. A waste of hundreds and worse than the stock system. And dare I say rice. Never understood it.

That wouldn't work very well with our -AN fittings to an unsealed catch can. DSMrs are so smart and frugal, then you see that trend. A waste of hundreds and worse than the stock system. And dare I say rice. Never understood it.

I asked about this years ago, just simply asking why people do exactly what you said and I got absolutely drug through the mud by a certain bastard on FB.

So hearing someone way smarter than me with a much faster dsm than I’ll ever have makes me feel so vindicated. Lol.

Finally back home. I f*cking despise central and south Florida. Legitimately never doing that drive ever again. Once people cross the Florida border they suddenly turn absolutely water-headed when it comes to driving. It was also f*cking bike week. Lol. God damn I hate motorcycle operators.

But, it was successful. I'm so tired I gotta nap, but you have no idea how tempted I was to scotch bright the flywheel and install everything right now. Lol. One step at a time though.

Laters. Appreciate yall.

Ordered a big boy 1/2” impact rated at like 1400 ft/lbs in anticipation of replacing the flywheel bolts(and some other projects I need it for) because my little 350 ft/lb’er isn’t gonna cut the mustard if they’re as tight as they should be.

Legit hope this new beefy boi is enough for that matter. Lol. We’ll see though.

Also ordered a vacuum bleeder/pump and some various bolts that I’ll need that the dude who “helped” me remove my transmission “accidentally” placed in his toolbox for his dsm then “lost”, rounded out the order with some scotchbrite pads for my drill so I can clean up the flywheel.

Getting excited, honestly. I want to drive this beat up ass drama queen so bad. It’s like wanting to bang a really terrible looking stripper just to say you did. I know it’s bad for me but I don’t even care at this point.

Well, was determined to do some work on the Talon today. I got impatient and decided to try to remove the crank bolts with my current measly 350 ft/lbs impact, and to my surprise...it worked. It didn't even struggle, it tapped a couple times per bolt then just backed them right off. They had red loctite on them too, which makes me wonder if they were torqued/tightened properly. When getting the bolts off though, I noticed they were really short. Here is a comparison between the ARP bolts, and the OEM brand new ones from TMZ.

IMG_5604.jpeg

IMG_5603.jpeg

Pretty significant difference really. But once I zipped them all off, before I pulled the flywheel off I decided to use my red scotchbrite pads and drill with some WD-40 to clean the surface rust. It turned out awesome I think, here's the before and after.

IMG_5381.jpeg

IMG_5380.jpeg

eesh. aaaaand after!

IMG_5606.jpeg

It's smooth to the touch, despite still having some appearance of rust. Nothing catches your nail, and it feels like the surface of a brand new flywheel. Very pleased.

However, when I pulled it off I noticed the previous owner actually put loctite all around the back of the flywheel too, I guess to "glue it" onto the crank. Not sure if that's what others do, but when I cleaned the bolt holes out, I cleaned all the loctite off the back of the flywheel and head of the crank too. It was weird how only moderately tight the bolts were and how short they are.

I'm stopping for now because I'm tempted AF to just stab the transmission in, but I'm still waiting for a few parts. But overall, very pleasant time today. Can't wait. Only reason I didn't reinstall the flywheel and clutch assembly, is I don't want it sitting outside just to re-rust.

Going to check the step height before you put it back together?

I should yeah. Now I just to research how. Lol

Edit: After research, I'm not gonna be able to do it myself. Have to get a machine shop to do it...but RRE is super skeptical of machine shops being able to do this, and honestly I don't know a single machine shop near me that'll do it. Gotta call around.

I'm just gonna send it. If it has issues, I'll replace it with something else or ship the flywheel out somewhere that can do the job.

Last edited:
I should yeah. Now I just to research how. Lol

Edit: After research, I'm not gonna be able to do it myself. Have to get a machine shop to do it...but RRE is super skeptical of machine shops being able to do this, and honestly I don't know a single machine shop near me that'll do it. Gotta call around.

I'm just gonna send it. If it has issues, I'll replace it with something else or ship the flywheel out somewhere that can do the job.

I have to go get my flywheel from the shop before they balance everything so that I can check if mine is also right as well...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back