The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

injector removal and installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok, here it goes. ill go from memory, so if im off a bit someone please corerct me. ill only be off in bolt size minor things like that though, i feel i have this procedure down.

1. relieve the fuel pressure. i do this by taking off the fuel cap to the gas tank.

2. some say to unplug the fuel pump electrically to get the fuel out of the rail, but i have never bothered. if you feel the need, simply pull the electrical plug off the pump and turn the motor over a few times.

3. take the electrical clips off the injectors. dont worry about mixing them up, its nearly impossible.

4. pull off the vaccum line going from the intake manifold to the bov.

5. pull spark plug wires off the coil packs.

6. take off the pcv valve.

7. there are 3 bolts holding the rail down. they are 12mm in size. pull them out.

8. pull up on the rail evenly and slowly. either the injectors will stay in the head or the rail. while doing this you have to keep your eye on a few things. there are 3 black spacers between the head and rail (the 3 12mm bolts went through these). youll need all 3, so try not to let them fall into the engine bay. also, where the bottom of the injector plugs into the head there are fat black orings call insulators. keep your eye on those things too. take the injectors out and set them aside. make sure you take all the black insulators with you.

9. now that the injectors are out, its time to inspect the insulators and orings. the insulators tend to become a plastic over time, if this is the case, theyre trash. also, the o-rings on top of the injectors (went into the rail) must be in perfect shape.

if your new injectors come with new insulators and o-rings, your all good.

10. take those 3 black spacers between the rail and head off. i put that gasket in a tube stuff on one side of them so they stick and never come off again. while this step isnt needed, losing those things sucks, and i suggest you do them. back in the day i lost one so i just put 2 on the outside and i ended up cracking the rail in half. dont ask...

11. put the top of the injector in the rail first. prior to popping them in, soak the orings in silicone lubricant. you shouldnt have to force them much, youll know when theyre in. one time i couldnt get #4 in and i ended up destroying 4 orings in the process. if they dont go in good, you must pop it out and check the oring. a busted oring = fuel leak. ive been there and done that 3 times, not fun.

12. soak the insulators in the lubricant and put them in the head. put the bottoms of the injectors in . now get your 3 bolts and tighten the rail. tight is tight. do not over tq. chiltons suggests about 4 ft lbs of tq, i do about 10. just dont over do it. again, tight is tight.

13. phew, were done. grab a beer and hook up the pcv and misc stuff.

any questions, just ask. i think i nailed it all, but maybe i missed or was unclear on something. lata.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back