The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Hatchback floor and shelf

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trig90

Probationary Member
Nov 3, 2014
Basehor, Kansas
Just purchased a 1997 Eagle Talon last week for a daily driver. Lots of improvements needed but my first issue is there is no floor in the hatchback. Just a piece of carpet over the spare. I need a floor to haul stuff and I'd like to get a shelf as well. I've had no luck searching the internet for parts. Where do i look to find those parts? New or used matters not.

Any help to a new DSM owner is appreciated. I am located near KC.

-Trig

A new floor for the trunk has been on my list as well. My idea was to use cardboard to mock up the shape of the trunk and then using the cardboard shape to cut out a piece of MDF board. Then attach this to the frame at the back of the seats where the factory floor attached to with hinges to allow access to the spare tire. I haven't put this plan into action yet but maybe it will help you.

-Corey

You're not missing much. The stock floor was made outta some crappy,thin cardboard. Id recommend following cj8990 and just measure up some cardboard and pick a floor material to cut to shape. There's some other posts on here about sub enclosures if you want some ideas. Ive seen alot of guys just get some plywood and cover it in sub enclosure carpet.

Check Miller Imports, they are company that sells a lot of used DSM parts, if you don't see it in the online shop contact them via phone or email, they are pretty much guaranteed to have it, if not don't be scared to go to your local salvage yard, always plenty of stuff there.

Thanks for the info. I thought about cutting my own, that sounds like the way to go. If anyone has pictures of their creation, I'd love to see them. I'll give miller imports a call as well. My list of to-dos is growing rapidly with this car. Headliner, cruise control, fog lights, exhaust and idle are all now on the list. First off is the trunk though. Thanks again for helping me with my new addition.

i had the same issue with my first gen talon. i traced the carpet onto a piece of 1/4 inch plywood to get a general idea of the shape. then just kept taking more and more wood off the outer edges till it fit better. good luck!

I've covered other hatch spare wells with aluminum. Taking measurements and a template 1 1/4 inches wider than what fits r then make a few strength creases ridges and rolling the edges and making them smooth then as praying adhesive and attaching carpet so the piece is easily removed and stays together. For heavier loads the piece cab be reinforces with 1/8 inch thick strips riveted to it. And can be sprayed any color.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back