The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Short Shift Kit Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RawrImAMonster

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2007
Broadway, Virginia
I'm pretty sure my car has some sort of short shift kit and the transmission is really notchy. I've heard short shift kits can have the effect of making transmissions notchy. I don't really like the short shift kit to start with, it came on the car when I bought it.

Anyways, like I said im pretty sure it has one, because the shifter throw feels way too short to be stock. My question is: Is there a way to easily get rid of a short shift kit or are parts replaced or what?

The person who has my car before me put on an EBAY short shifter. I guess he did it wrong because it was kinda just flopping around when you would shift LoL. I tightened it up with some washers and rubber bushings. Kinda have to pull the shift boot and see whats up. If worse comes to worse you could always look for a parts car or junkyard and just go back to a stock set up.

These cars aren't really known for great shifting to begin with though. Do some searches on shifter bushing and the rollerblade bearing mod.

In searching for shifter bushings i found I have one of the common syptoms. My shifter has loads of play while its still in gear. Hopefully getting it fixed up will help it shift into 3rd better too.

Most short shifting kits come with two different shortened percentages. Since you are saying yours is too short, take off the driver side kick panel and take a look up to the shifter. If it is on the bottom hole, then it is at it's shortest range. Move it up to the top hole and see if it feels any better. If it is still too short for your liking, then you would want to go back to stock but I do not recommend it because those throws are far too long.

Now if the notchy feeling stays the same, it could be: 1) The shifter is absolutely horrible in build quality and should be replaced. 2) That the shifter bushings on the base, and cable links are worn out and need replacing. If all bushings are replaced and the notch remains, then it is either a linkage problem or a transmission problem.

As a reference, this is how a short shifter kit should look:
B&M Install Instructions.

Ok, so I took everything apart today, and everything inside the car seems to be in good working order. The problem seems to be in the engine bay.

Anyways, i noticed there was a really loose bolt on the mount that holds the shifter cable things to the transmission. I tightened that up, it fixed almost all of the side to side shifter play and it shifts WAY better. However, now there is a sort of metal on metal sliding noise when the car is moving.

The noise only happens when the car is moving, doesnt matter what gear or if the clutch is in or out. It sounds like its coming from about where I was making changes. Was this bolt I tightened supposed to have some sort of rubber thing on it or what?

Edit: There are two bolts that mount the shifter thing to the transmission, I tightened the lower one.

I was really hoping to work on this today if anyone has any suggetions, they would be greatly appreciated.

I've since found out the thing I was talking about is the shifter linkage. The bolt that I tightened all the way up is the one closer to the bottom.

I can't figure out why their would be a metal on metal sliding noise. It doesn't seem like anything that I adjusted would be rotating while the car is moving. I really have no idea what could have caused that noise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back